1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An MF Bargain....

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by caledonia84, Sep 29, 2017.

1. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

A Mamiya RZ67

£60!?!? Well chuffed with that, the lens had a bit of fungus in it but was easily stripped and cleaned, thought id run a roll of film through to test it on some old cameras...... Wow some real character! I could get used to using this, love the waist level viewfinder too, gives an almost 3d quality :)

[​IMG]Mamiya Sekor 110mm f2.8 by Scott Hills, on Flickr

[​IMG]Testing Mamiya Sekor RZ67 by Scott Hills, on Flickr

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I read £600 and thought you'd been robbed. But £60 is a bargain alright, hope you have a long and happy partnership with it. :)

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Bargain! That's an amazing price. A WLF that size is incredible.

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Jammy bugger !
    Good find .

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. caledonia84

I've set up an alert on Gumtree for cameras in my area so It gives me a good chance to get there first. Initially I was going to sell the camera on it came with another box of old polaroid and slrs too.

The seller explained it was his dad's and he just wanted it to go to a good home, he got a bit emotional when I was taking it away, the original receipt for over £1000 was still in the box so he knew what it was worth. I told him I'd look after it, so I will.

Hopefully get some good shots with it

Done_rundleCams and Craig20264 like this.
  6. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

The RZ is a bit of a handful but a wonderful camera all the same.

How easy was the lens to strip and rebuild? I have an odd problem with the shutter in one of mine (the 50 mm), that fires OK, but will not close when cold, and so jams the camera.

The only way of resolving this is to remove the battery for thirty seconds or so and to reinsert it, when a faint click can be heard from the shutter and everything is OK again - until the next time!

It isn't the battery and other lenses work normally.

7. caledonia84

It was remarkably easy to strip down, However, the lens comes apart in large groups (3 I think) and luckily for me the fungus was in between these so I didn't need to strip the group's down into individual elements.

Is it the aperture blades that sticking open? If so it's usually a bit of oil that thickens with the cold temp and causes them to stick open or closed?

8. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

No; the problem is in the shutter mechanism. The aperture blades are fine.

The lens itself is in excellent condition and doesn't appear to have been used a great deal. I would be happy to believe this issue was caused by cold oil on the shutter blades, but that wouldn't explain why removing the battery for thirty seconds resolves the problem.

Oddly enough, I have another RZ lens (the 65 mm) which is optically perfect, but which fails to send aperture information to the camera. This is fine if using a hand-held meter, but if I use a metered heads it constantly indicates over-exposure except in very dim light.

However, I gather these lenses are almost 'modular' in design, so it might be possible to use one of the lenses as a donor for the other.

9. caledonia84

Hmmm I'm not sure then, as this is my first venture into medium format i have really limited experience with trouble shooting problems with them :(