1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing site.

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Paddysnapper, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Paddysnapper

Paddysnapper Well-Known Member

This link was sent to me by my son.
    It contains the most amazing photographs I have ever seen. It will take you a good hour to navigate around it!

www.abandoned-places.com

pictures by Henk van Rensbergen

2. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

Hrm, not my thing - I found the website really counter-intuitive to use and that peed me off.

Some of the photos I thought were nothing special at all :D

Maybe it's what you like looking at or taking photos of?

Which photos did you especially like? maybe I just looked at the 'OK' ones

3. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Clearly the photographer has set out to record the decay of these once great buildings, and whether it is photography or the thrill of gaining access that motivates him is immaterial. Guerilla photography has been discussed here in various rooms whth some members such as Alias linking to their site

As far as navigation goes, the site is easier than quite a few I could mention.

4. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Same

5. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Mmm I had a look around a few of the rooms in there, some of them had a few really good photos at the bottom, quite creative too, eg a hospital I found, others were very boring documentary shots.

6. andy_m

andy_m Well-Known Member

I think it's an awesome site, but there again I photograph the same kind of stuff i.e. mainly abandoned industrial sites. That said, Henk's stuff is absolutely top notch. I'd recommend his book as well, available on Amazon, also called Abandoned Places.

7. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

There might be some good photographs there, but the design of the site is so appalling that I didn't bother exploring it. Why do photographers, who should have a well-developed artistic sensibility, so often have to design such complex, unappealing and counter-intuitive sites?

8. Simon_King

Simon_King Well-Known Member

Same for me, some of the (few) photo's I looked at didn't seem that sharp or decently exposed. I think the web site is very arty as opposed to functional. It makes me wonder what the guy is showcasing, his flash (web site) skills or his camera skills.

Cheers
    Simon

9. andy_m

andy_m Well-Known Member

Trust me on this, when you're doing that kind of photography, you don't always have the time / room / opportunity to make perfect photographs........

10. Paddysnapper

Cheers Andy!
    Thank God there are still people who appreciate skill and creativity when they see it. P.S.

11. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I like to think I can recognise skill and creativity when I see it. But I didn't see it - perhaps for the reasons I gave. If we only acknowledge people who agree with what we want to see or hear, then we're likely to miss all the important and meaningful stuff.

Up to you of course, but why ask for feedback if all you can hear is the applause?

12. Paddysnapper

I do have a slightly different "take" on life from the average!... I have a loathing for manipulated skies, milky water. Could have a lot to do with still being a B&W photographer at heart, and a darkroom trained photographer prior to going partially digital.

And NO I am not looking for approval of my taste!

I genuinely thought you would like it! How wrong can one be.

13. KeithGee

KeithGee Well-Known Member

Relax, Paddy - you're not alone!

I'm only part way through that site and, other than I could do without the secondary links at the bottom of some (most) of the pages and I would very much like larger images, that site irritates me for only 2 reasons:

1) It ain't mine!

2) I didn't take the pix!

It is probably the best site that I've seen from a 'posted link' by a number of country miles!

It is so to my own taste (90-95% pure Ozutography ) I will probably pop in and out of it for a long time to come!

Thanks for the link - please don't hesitate to post any to similar sites that may come your way!

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Paddysnapper, any link anyone posts may be of interest to some and not to others, and that goes for this one. Personally, I thought the style of the site was quite nice, and there was some stuff on there I liked, and some that didn't float my boat. Whatever, I'm grateful to you for bringing it to my attention - don't be dispirited because not everyone likes it, at the very least people have had a look.

15. Pogbellies

Pogbellies Well-Known Member

I liked the design, although it is quirky and meant to be so. It is not meant to be a picture library style site even though the images are for sale.

Some of the images are outstanding and hauntingly beautiful in their own way - like certain types of music and paintings, some see what others cannot or get a feeling that others will not, this is not a fault in either party just the way the psyche reacts.

Art is by its nature subjective and while I know what I like, its good to get the opportunity to look at new and different things - thank you.

16. Custard

Custard Well-Known Member

Shame really, i really like black and white but it annoyed me so much i had to move on. Pitty

17. benji

benji Well-Known Member

I do like the site.

I find the design rather good.

Some of the images are absolutely brilliant in the sense that they really have a reason to be.
    In years to come, all of this will be obliterated (not like sunsets... There's one every evening!). It's good to have a record.

Obviously, this guy having a "high-profile" job, doesn't need the money. He is just doing it because it means something to him. It does speak to me, too.

I really enjoy photography when it does what it was meant to do, which is to record a moment in time, before it gets too late and we can't witness it anymore.
    I find the pictures very informative (in a spooky kind of way).

I wonder whether the guy has been influenced (or at least inspired) by the work of Lee Miller... Probably.

The intrinseque "technical" quality of the images with this type of photography is completely irrelevant for me. The quality lies more in the "atmosphere" of the shots.
    I admire the fact that the guy got out and did it, thus allowing us to enjoy his work and what it means.

I always find it refreshing, somehow, when some enthusiastic amateur indulges in his/her passion for a an idea or a theme, and pursues it to the full.

I may buy the book.
    Benji

18. andy_m

andy_m Well-Known Member

Nice to see that someone else 'gets' the site. I do recommend the book highly, although my style of photography is somewhat similar, if only in genre.

:)

19. benji

benji Well-Known Member

That's alright, Andy, I wasn't planning on buying your book anyway!

:D :D :D

Benji

20. andy_m

andy_m Well-Known Member

LOL, I wasn't plugging my as of yet unfinished book project, it was more an appreciation of Henks book from someone who does similar stuff! :D

But if you're interested in my book project....

;)