1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amateur Snappers & Great Pictures

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by art, Feb 5, 2015.

1. art

art Well-Known Member

I couldn't find it on iPlayer but found an interview with her on the Telegraph website. Not sure about the relevance though, so maybe I found something different. If it was the contrast between Smith having lots of coaching compared to my example of McCartney having none then it's just an example of how different people have different routes to their success, even though it usually means a lot of hard work and practice whatever the route.

2. AlexDenny

AlexDenny Well-Known Member

To demonstrate my point - here is an example:

[​IMG]Syrian Refugee Camp by darkroomdenny, on Flickr

A photo from (near) a war zone - but not a very good photo. It doesn't tell anyone anything they don't already know - and doesn't engage the subject.

Yet these photos (also technically crap) somehow do tell a story. At least in the context that they're in Beirut, where many assume everything is a refugee camp.

[​IMG]White night club - Beirut by darkroomdenny, on Flickr

[​IMG]Marina, Beirut by darkroomdenny, on Flickr

Yet the photo that tells me most about the people of Beirut is this (that life's a beach):

[​IMG]Life's a beach by darkroomdenny, on Flickr

One thing I do know is that going there didn't make it art!!

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

You do yourself a disservice, they're not bad pictures. More to the point, they tell an important story and a story that, as you say, has been drowned by medja in search of viewing figures rather than the truth.

In that light, I think they might just qualify as "great" to some viewers.

[​IMG]

4. AlexDenny

AlexDenny Well-Known Member

In the top one, literally just the other side of the mountains was Syria. At the time the border was technically still open. I didn't go!!!

5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

As I see it, epithets like 'iconic', 'great' and so on are generally posthumous 'awards'. If not, then as so much these days, the result of a lot of hype.

Being 'original' is perfectly possible if you've got the ideas, the imagination, the desire, the freedom and if necessary the technique to try and put them into practice. As an amateur you've probably got more freedom to explore your ideas than a profi. However, this may mean stepping out of 'mainstream' photography with, as a consequence, possible negative reactions from more 'conservative' snappers. But, if the general reaction to your efforts is positive then carry on and see if you can develop(!) your ideas further. As to being considered 'iconic' or 'great'- see above.

For my part, from the feedback I get, I deduce that my abstracts- or at least those that other people have seen- must be 'good'. Perhaps in, say, 50 years, they might even be considered 'iconic' and/or 'great' (!) but, since I won't be around then I can't say that I'm bothered one way or the other.

Lynn

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Try coming at this from a different way. I'm dealing with 'good' here. 'Great/iconic' are far too difficult for me.

I'd suggest to you that subjectively there would be a high level of agreement within a particular audience about what's 'good'. Allow me to attempt to describe a picture that was in my club comp last week.

It was of a guy's granddaughter, 3 years old. In landscape format although it was a portrait. The girl was in the centre of the frame. The top of her head was cut off and her arms, just below her cuffs- showing a bit of wrist but no hand - were also cut off. The b/g was well out of focus and the girl was very sharp and well exposed. She was wearing a very bright and shiny coloured macintosh that, jumped off, the screen.

Now think about different audiences. In the camera club I have no doubt that only one person in the room thought that it was 'good'. On the Clapham Omnibus I reckon a majority might have thought it good simply because ,technically, it was head and shoulders above Mr. Average. What would the family audience say? They might think it good but I have my doubts. I've 'chatted' to this young girl at the school gates for over a year now and know her quite well. Being polite this particular portrait was not the most flattering.

I'll leave you to go through the same thought process but assuming that the photo was an abstract or some such.

Finally let me leave you with a picture of my Granddaughter. Good? I think so. :D

[​IMG]

MickLL

7. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Superbly sharp hair and perfectly placed in the frame. I demand it be hung in the London Salon, immediately

:D :D :D

You got me beat - I reckon I'll take up video...

[​IMG]

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Taylor Wessing surely?

Lynn