1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amateur Photographer of the Year 2018 now live

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Nigel_Atherton, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

You will be pleased (I hope) to learn that we have just launched this year's Amateur Photographer of the Year competition. Once again it is sponsored by Sigma Imaging and as with last year we are running it on the Photocrowd platform.
    However, following feedback from readers about last year's competition we have made several significant changes to the rules which I hope addresses some of the issues raised. These include:

• Only AP readers get a free entry. This will be via a voucher code which will be printed every week in AP. It can only be used once per round and the code will change for each round. Anyone entering through the Photocrowd platform has to pay to enter, though of course they too can get a code if they buy a copy of AP.

• Up to three additional entries per round can be purchased but unlike last year only the highest scoring entry per round will be counted.

• The threshold from what is considered a professional photographer has been reduced back to 10% as it was before, and made more prominent in the rules.

You can find more details here, along with the link to enter: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/apoy

EightBitTony and daft_biker like this.
  2. Zubzubadoodle

Zubzubadoodle Member

I'm thinking of entering this year. Can you confirm that pictures entered should be take during the time frame of the round?
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The T&C say not. You can enter an image even if it has won an award elsewhere (though the elsewhere rules may forbid it)
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

But they can't bind AP ex post facto.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

We are. But you really should be allowed some time off at the week-ends. Speak to the Editor about it. He's a reasonable man, if overworked.

6. Nigel_Atherton

Ha ha, thanks Roger. I'll have a word with him.

I can confirm that entries do not have to have been taken during the period of the round, or even this year.
  7. Nigel_Atherton

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Is there any way to submit a picture WITHOUT being forced to use a social media website that I do not trust with my personal data?
    Perhaps the email to AP option should still be available, as long as the entry code (or subscriber number?) is quoted.
  9. PeteRob

Nope. This question was well rehearsed last year.
  10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

But what about 'forced to use a social media website that I do not trust with my personal data' in the Trump era?
  11. PeteRob

That was the thrust of it.

Basically all the back-office work is avoided by using this platform and that advantage is overwhelming, so that's the way it is. They changed the rules this year so the end winner will have to demonstrate skill in all the categories rather than be very good at one or two subjects.