1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative Photographic opportunities please

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by fatandskint, Jul 22, 2019.

1. fatandskint

fatandskint New Member

Hi, I am a newbie to the forum, and still learning the ropes of how to use my camera and the techniques involved.

I have attended functions such as Air shows and the Edinburgh tattoo for example. But can anyone suggest other UK venues that would be entertaining for the rest of the family as well as being an alternative photo opportunity please ?

I live in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, so venues in the midlands or south are preferred please, though would travel for an interesting enough event

Much appreciated & thank you

Fatandskint
    Aylesbury

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The classic car events at Bicester Heritage might be worth a look? I believe they are quite reasonably priced too, as they are more "all turn up and ogle each other's wheels" than a formal show.

On a smaller scale - how about steam ralies? I have no iodea what your family's tastes are, but there's one at Shabbington that I don't think is too far from you. Can't remember whether the Haddenham one is at the Bucks or the Cambs Haddenham...

Hope that help,

Adrian

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Cotswold Wildlife Centre?
    Your family could wander round, go in with the lemurs etc. Not sure of the prices these days as I haven't been for a few years.

4. fatandskint

fatandskint New Member

Thanks Adrian

I assume you might be local to me then ?
    My uncle used to be involved in Steam rallies, he constructed a working model Fowler engine complete with plough and caravan and restored an original found in a deserted barn. He was one of the first to use rubber tyres covering the wheels -such a venue may well bring back some cheerful memories

5. gray1720

Oxford area, so not too far away. I wouldn't come to Oxford as it's bloody expensive and heaving with tourists!

Adrian

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

But have you noticed how quiet it is? The characters on TV (e.g. "Lewis") can sit at tables outside the Campus Stores in Broad Street and it's damned near silent!

gray1720 likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That's 'cause half the population has been murdered! :rolleyes:

8. gray1720

There's always the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden, near Bedford - more expensive, especially on airshow days (I'm guessing from your user name that cost is an issue), but would fit with your initial list.

*Breaking news* According to the Google reviews, kids go free to the airshows, that's a bloody good deal. If I'd been to an Old Warden airshow as a kid, I don't think they'd ever have got me home!

Adrian

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

How about your local wildlife trust's nature reserves? Usually free and always something to photograph.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As it is coming up to the summer holidays English Heritage host lots of recreation events (they are big on battles ) though whether there are any near you I don't know.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Waddesdon Manor is just down the road plenty of events to photograph, expensive if you're not a NT member.

13. fatandskint

fatandskint New Member

Many thanks All - a few ideas to ponder. Have also considered some carnivals but perhaps not really suitable for grandkids
    As a way of back ground, I travel the country taking literally thousands of photos a month of buildings (or parts of them to compile reports)
    On occasions some of the scenery I observed from roof tops can be quite spectacular e.g The southern Tip of Loch Ness - I was stood on the roof of a former monastary when I took this with a small Konica Z5 . That camera was ideal for pictures of faults and details of buildings for my reports, but probably not the best for good quality pictures - though I appreciate them for the memory.
    So a little while ago I thought I would but a decent camera - (without breaking the bank) and give it ago - still a long learning curve to go

Once again, many thanks for all your suggestions