1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altered Reality and other matters

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Sep 12, 2015.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

You seemed to suggest otherwise, Senator.

Am not a fisherman, but will ask a photographer/fisherman next time we meet/speak. Am guessing they are the same. Think musos, especially guitarists - maybe drummers, too :eek: - would be the same. Woodworkers, yes again. Nikon Norm is very much a photographer/woodworker and is in the process of making his own acoustic guitar. He also sails, so would make disparaging remarks about bar-room salts and chippies as well as air guitarists. Mind you he's quite good at making disparaging remarks. Period. :D Cheers, Oly

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

My reason for picking up on the kit, learning, is that it sort of echoes my thoughts about cameras at present, especially the high-end compacts, CSCs and DSLRs that are (currently) more of our currency day to day, but is a bit more drastic than I imagine things will be. Also, I haven't seen the image he refers to so obviously cannot comment on that.

Therefore, back to the DSLR as I mused this Thread after signing off yesterday. It struck me that however good an electronic viewfinder becomes, it will still not offer what a DSLR can. It may be 100% lens view, ultra-fine resolution, high-speed refresh, low fringe/low rainbow wizard but it will still be an imposition between photographer and subject in a way that a pure, high quality lens>prism>mirror system is not. For that reason alone, the DSLR may be with us for a long time to come. Other more technical bods than I on the AP Forum may be able to come up with uses for a camera where the imposition of a little telly as viewfinder may make the device unsuitable. I suspect they are there. Cheers, Oly

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There is another thread on altered reality in the Talking Pictures room and that is still on course.
    So back to very much living DSLRs. They have probably reached a state of development close to their limits.
    Given more time CSCs may catch up and even overtake DSLRs. This has not happened yet.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I wish I knew why your pic won't show on my PC! Shows on my phone :confused:

Thought of another subject that has me reaching for my DSLR....

[​IMG]

So I guess if people stop wanting to photograph their kids and pets doing stuff then DSLRs might disappear but I can't see that happening any time soon.

And I haven't posted a macro shot as the thought of having to shoot that with an EVF is even more frightening than the thought of seeing my kid hurt or being savaged by a wild dog;)

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's strange the things which frighten us.
    The thought of looking at things online on a phone does it for me. I prefer my PC or on a piece of paper on a wall - or for real.

The reason my picture won't show is because I posted it from the AP Gallery, then to here - then I changed my mind and deleted it. Your phone has remembered it, your PC, not.
    My creation reminds me of my father, my uncle, the Middle East, my husband, our holidays, my memories.
    My imagination puts them together here.

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Altered reality allows you to go rowing without having rowlocks for the oars! To say nothing of shorting out high tension power lines! And the story is............?

Of course, in a fantasy world, things like this are minor, irritating details?

Lynn

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'd rather have an uncertain journey than to feel I have arrived at the destination!

8. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It's exactly those people who are, or at least should be, dropping DSLRs like stones and flocking to CSCs. I bought an Olympus E-M 5ii for that very purpose. I don;t want to lug around a DSLR which only gets in the way when I'm out with my kids.

As for DSLRs, I don't see them dying out completely but they will end up as a niche much like rangefinders have.