1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altered Reality and other matters

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Sep 12, 2015.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Absolutely delighted to read the "Altered Reality" feature in this week's issue (19 September), highlighting the work of Erik Johansson. AP needs an occasional shot of this type of creativity from time to time.

Also happy to read in the same issue that Deputy Editor Richard Sibley shares my view that the dSLR is a dying beast. I suspect that may generate some contrary opinions.

Finally, flattered that one of my images (Utah Rocks), that I recollect submitting to a long-forgotten APOY round several years ago, has re-emerged in the Appraisal feature. I have no difficulty accepting the criticism that Damien Demolder makes but, yet again, the limitations of the magazine printing process don't really allow his undoubted improvements to be fully appreciated.

Eric

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Not a dying beast, in my view, Eric. Rather one that has pretty much reached the end of its development. News has reached us in the last two weeks of high mp cameras but in reality, they are not going to make much practical difference to many, many photographers. The DSLR will be with us as a work tool for some time. It is possible that eventually it will become a niche camera or have an evf fitted but the improvement in those to match a conventional viewfinder is, in my view, a long way off.

Rather, I would suggest it is the camera makers that are likely to be dying unless they start to offer DSLRs, CSCs, Bridge cameras, compacts and even film cameras that customers want rather than what they think we want. Witness the comment elsewhere on another Thread in the Forum from, IIRC, DaveS. He wants an upgrade for an elderly Canon 5D (MK1, I assume) that is closer to his old film SLR. Cheers, Oly

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree. My DSLR is still my camera of choice for quality and ease of use. Nice to have control of the situation.

4. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree that it is a dying beast, but what about all these lens manufacturers producing f/1.4s by the bucketload? Perhaps they hope to be making money while DSLRs last?:)

Perhaps when CSCs overtake DSLRs and more CSC lenses are sold, the prices may come down? Or perhaps Bridge cameras with 1"/APS-C sensors will take over?

Who knows, eh?

5. PhotoEcosse

It is still my camera of choice from amongst those that I have, Kate.

But if I was starting from scratch, it would not be. I would go for a more modern design that offers all the flexibility and image quality of a dSLR but without the clanking mirror and the bulk and weight that adds to the body.

Give me the same sensor and the same lens mount and the same versatitlity and controlability - but in a mirrorless body. A few years ago I was saying that was what I wanted - and, of course, now they exist.

Eric

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Eric,

Ah... You mean a Leica M typ 240.

Cheers,

R.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I like Eric's original post; its a good test. Eric raises two issues, one about creative photography, and the other about gear.
    Interesting that the replies before this one are all about the gear. Even Roger H hasn't resisted the temptation to comment about his Leica. I'm no better in that I am commending the OP instead of commenting on the photography.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Agreed, I showed the pics in that article to SWMBO too.:cool:

Why bother reviewing a 600/4 then?

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

because Sony have not yet provided an E fit 600/4. Just because a mirrorless camera can't cover a cricket match yet because of a missing lens doesn't imply that mirrorless can never cover a cricket match.
    The new cameras and traditional DSLRs could have been equally used for the altered reality stuff, and whether one likes it or not, the altered reality article, in my view, was relevant to AP's remit more that any gear article.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I've never tried cricket but here's one from last weekend I chose to use a DSLR for:
    [​IMG]

As for the altered reality stuff.....bet Josh Bender would ride that drop lol :)

11. PhotoEcosse

When Nikon introduce an FX mirrorless with an F mount (what I am dreaming of), that 600/4 will fit it.

In the meantime, as noted above, Sony are ahead of both Nikon and Canon in this particular game. But it won't be long..............

12. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Tradesmen talk about their tools all the time.

Over the last few months I've had informative chats about drills, saws, hammers and even pickaxes, with the guys working on our cottage.

It's become a stock photographic put down that "only amateurs talk about equipment, real photographers talk about pictures". I generally find that those who write such things are, shall we say, "image challenged" in oh, so many ways.

13. 0lybacker

^ ^ ^ :) :) :)

or a Leica M6 or M7 :D :D :D

and maybe a (Cosina) Voigtlander at a pinch! :D

14. 0lybacker

Ahem!

Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji ...

:D

15. 0lybacker

Senator, I started agreeing with your opening good thought, then you let it go to pot, all go downhill.

Eventually, when the chat about gear is done, it is still sitting there. Sooner or later, the elegant plane, the beautifully shiny saw, the gleaming chrome lens, that intriguing camera body has to be picked up by a hand and made to do something. Until then, its purpose is not fulfilled. It can be informative, educative and aesthetically pleasing while on a shelf or hooked on a wall. But it will still be no more than any other artifact. Pocket lint! ;)

Its potential is only released with use, is it not?

The tool in producing an end product becomes more than hero in design, retailing and appreciation. It becomes married to its user and its product. Fulfillment. The product takes on a life of its own. The tool now has a record, a past. It is no longer as empty as it may have been.

Think on't, lad! Cheers, Oly

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Cameras evolve; m4/3rds versions suit my needs, I've tried Rangefinders on a number of occasions, but somehow, I don't feel as 'connected' to what I am photographing. I do however on occasions, like the facility of being able to see what is going on (or about to occur) outside the area that a DSLR shows in it's viewfinder.

My X-Pro1 does kind of satisfies both of those needs, depending on which viewfinder mode I have switched it over onto. However, I wish it was significantly smaller, and those buttons on the left-hand side were recessed better, as I keep on accidentally pressing them when I'm holding this camera.

As an aside, I've also just seen one of the EE-1 Dot sights, apparently a very useful aid for when tracking small, fast moving objects when using telephoto lenses. You have a dot, which you calibrate for parallax, so that it indicates the centre of your lens. However, you can also see, what's going on in the surrounding area

I suppose this is a bit like looking at the viewing area of say a std lens, except the lens you are using, could be something like a 400mm+ optic. Device doesn't need a hot shoe, and therefore there isn't any electronics linkage needed between the camera body and the sight, so can be used on any camera.

DPR has a review on it, with example shots, located here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3794471#forum-post-55239544

Works the same as those fitted to rifles, but some of those are a lot smaller and cheaper, but these don't have a hot-shoe mount on them, but I gather 'cobbling' one up, wouldn't be that difficult. Probably very useful to those photographing birds in flight

Sam

17. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I rather thought that was a given.

My point is that the tools of any trade are important to the tradesmen and the idea that talking about them is somehow a sign of a lack of competence appears to me to be limited to a few photographers and seen nowhere else.

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I wish I was clever enough to do what he does - but I'm not.

I do have fun trying though.

[​IMG]

19. PhotoEcosse

Sorry Oly. what do you mean?

As far as I am aware, Sony are, so far, the only manufacturer producing a mirrorless (non-rangefinder) type of camera with a full-frame sensor and interchangable lenses such as FX format dSLRs currently use.

That is not to detract from the smaller mirrorless cameras produced by the makers you mention - but they are not going to replace my dSLRs the way that Sony do (and, I expect, Nikon will before too long).

20. 0lybacker

Beg pardon, Eric, reading too fast and brain missed/faded-out the reference to full-frame.

Did they start with F/f though? Just thinking now that maybe they didn't, so I was actually not far off track. Panasonic may have been the mirrorless pioneers.

However, Sony, I would suggest, have gone the F/f route because they need to have a way to differentiate from the existing mirrorless providers. Good for them. If they can get the unit prices down then they will be a real threat.

It should be remembered though, that Sony had the express goal of being World No.1 with DSLRs. Missed it. Then they went a bit quiet. Next it was translucent mirrors - high frame rates. The buying public did not share their enthusiasm. Then they joined in mirrorless and started to get some acclaim. I hope this new approach succeeds for them. Along with Olympus, I think they are the most vulnerable at present. It would be a shame if they were reduced to just making sensors & video kit. Cheers, Oly

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015