1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost forgotten treats

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Feb 10, 2019.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That looks good enough to eat, Roger! ;)

Catriona and RogerMac like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I used to use a Mrs Beeton recipe using a pressure cooker. I used the same pressure cooker for forty years too!

After pressure cooking the oranges for about 20 -30 minutes, fish them out (soft), cut in half and fish out the pips. Pips go back into the pan and get boiled up for about 10 minutes (big help setting the marmalade). Drain into jam pan. Soft pulp left was sliced with fork and knife even mashed with fork and returned to jam pan. Oh, I always had one lemon to five oranges.
    Add equal weight granulated sugar and bring to a rolling boil. Test every now and then for setting but use jam thermomenter to get to the right temperature.
    Get jars out of oven with pyrex jug, ladle and funnel to the ready and fill jars. Lids had a warm up in the oven for the last 10 minutes.
    With clean teatowel at the ready, screw on lids and stand back with satisfaction.

Actually this way had me making hundreds of jars of marmalade over the years. It was stored in a dark cupboard and could survive years!

RogerMac likes this.
  3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I freeze my oranges to pre-soften them a little, then squeeze (with my food processor attachment), slice the oranges (again, with the food processor) and boil with the pips in the bag for about an hour, but primarily until the oranges are properly softened. Then add sugar and continue as per your method. I also use the same weight of sugar, and I would guess my lemon ratio works out pretty similar - I use 3 per kg of oranges, which is I think generally about 15.
    Most recipes call for twice the weight of sugar, which I find disgustingly sweet, but it does set more readily.

I did add some Triple Sec to a couple of bottles at the point of bottling last time, which worked quite nicely, but in general, I prefer it straight.

RogerMac and Catriona like this.
  4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

my local Morrisons had both Seville oranges and blood oranges this week

Though I made a few posts of sweet orange marmalade last year, but do I not need any this year.

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I have sampled Roger's marmalade and believe me it is really is good enough to eat!

peterba and RogerMac like this.
  6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just for the record just round the corner from my new house in York is a small vegetarian shop, and they stock organic versions of both Seville and blood oranges

Zou likes this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Roger,

Still delicious, just harder and harder to find!

And chips cooked in anything other than beef dripping* are simply third rate. There is no second rate in this context.

*Or horse fat according to the Belgians, but I don't think I've ever tried them. Though I may have, in Belgium.

Cheers,

R.

John Farrell and RogerMac like this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Oh, God. I remember those. Even by the age of 10 I'd decided they were inedible (though I liked them up to then).

Then again, I used to like Thornton's chocolate until they expanded too fast in the 1970s. The sugar went through the roof; the quality, through the floor. Much the same was true of Entenmann's cakes: great in NYC until the late 80s.

Pastizzi in Malta are possibly the greatest fast food in the world. But I've never had anything like them anywhere else in the world. Or at least, nothing anything like as good. Maltese bread (hobz) is the best in the world too -- and I've eaten good bread in many countries,

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes such a pity - they were my favourite brand

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

This soon turns into Travellers' Tales. Jellibi from the guy on the corner of the block he reputedly owned in Old Delhi. Caviar spread on bread in Gum before the fall of the Soviet Union. Samosas at the Deer Park in Sarnath, next to the bus station. Lardy cakes from David Herbert's on Stoke's Croft in Bristol. Fishburgers from the pharmacy/drugstore a block back from Front Street in Hamilton, Bermuda (across the street from the two best camera stores, too).

Cheers,

R.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The root bit from celery. Its all trimmed off these days.
    Celeriac makes up for the loss in winter.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I used to love coconut ice too - but haven't had it in years. Too much glucose syrup as opposed to coconut which just makes it sickly and not very coconutty. Now if I were to see the proper really coconutty stuff I'd be in like a shot. You can usually tell by how shiny it is - the more shiny, the more syrup.

Adrian