1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aircraft..........

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Mintywoo, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Mintywoo

Mintywoo Active Member

For the sad ones - myself included............. you can get some fantastic shots of aircraft landing and taking off at Birmingham Int. Airport. The runway ends and after a bit of fencing, there is a Park. They have put some benches in and you can sit under the aircraft as they land (if the wind is in the right direction). I'm gutted that the last time Concord landed there I was at work......... I live for the day it might visit again, but I'm told there are no plans for it to be there again.

To get there, come off the M42 at the junction for the NEC/Airport etc. Get onto the A45 towards Birmingham, which is a dual carriageway. Eventually you will come to some traffic lights on a 'gantry' which goes over the road at a main junction. You need to stay in the right hand lane as you need to get into the filter lane to turn right. I think that it is marked for a place called Garretts Green and shows signs for 'Off site Airport Parking' or similar. Turn right at the lights (onto Wheatsheaf Lane). Follow the road and you will come to an Island in a cluster of shops. Turn right at the island into 'The Radleys' (3rd exit off the island). Follow the road and after a Zebra crossing you will see a car sales place up ahead on your left, about 30-50yrds before this there is a right turn (I'm afraid the name of the road escapes me - might be Hazeldene). Turn right and follow the road which will take you to a right bend, just on the bend, on the left, there is a little cul-de-sac. You can park in the cul-de-sac, but from time to time the locals get grumpy - so it might be worth parking on the road outside. Go into the cul-de-sac and you will see at the end some railings with a gate in the middle. Go through the gate and turn left, you'll be in a sparse wood, keep walking and you will see the runway to your right. Find a spot and enjoy.

I'm pretty sure these directions are correct - if not and you go and can't find it I'm sorry. In the event that they are incorrect, please update with a 'reply' accordingly.

Jo
    Birmingham

2. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

am yow a brummie then aar kid?
    bostin, I cum frum wolverhampton, and ave been to the birmingham airport once. It's great watching them planes come down ay it!

Larry's Photo site

3. Mintywoo

Mintywoo Active Member

ar,

ta very much.............. bostin.........

Jo.

4. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

great innit, thow of corse i live up north now, not far from geordie land, why aye mon!

Larry's Photo site

5. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Well-Known Member

May i throw in a bit of a cautionary note here.

Many of the entrances in the airport primeter fencing are RVP and should be kept clear.

Having been routed for taxi clearance at a UK airport, I have had to contact the ATE to warn of such a problem.

Also given the situation at the moment I would strongly avoid such areas. There is a higher state of alert at the moment.

For good aircraft shots may I recommend air days at Shuttleworth, PFA at Cranfield or The air museum Duxford.

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/shows/showdate.htm

Steve C Thompson

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Also.............

........don't look up when they're emptying the chemical toilet! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(Here's mud in your eye!)Will

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

7. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Well-Known Member

Re: Also.............

...........and don't stay on the same country when I'm at the controls.

Steve C Thompson

8. Mintywoo

Mintywoo Active Member

Steve, while I would not disagree with you about the higher state of alert, I have to say that I think you are wrong....... I walk my dogs every morning and afternoon in the park that covers 3 sides of the airport. They have Police Officers regularly patrolling the fence in Land Rovers, there are also other staff who are always driving by. I have been going there for about 4yrs and nothing is different there now than it was 4yrs ago. Sometimes I go with my camera, most of the time it is just with the dogs - either way I have never been told not to photograh or not to be by the fence.

With regard to the gates within the fence around the airport, yes they are there, and they quite clearly state that they should not be obstructed, but as there is no vehicle access to the park land - I don't see how anybody could block it even if they wanted to!

I agree that we should be responsible and cautious, but I think avoidance is the wrong approach............. we are not in Turkey.

Regards,

Jo.