1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aerial NY photography

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Ceri_Rust, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Ceri_Rust

Ceri_Rust Member

Hi,

I am going to New York, and America for the first time ever, and I am looking into doing a open door helicopter tour with these guys flynyon3

I was wondering if anyone had experience doing this kind of photography and specifically in New York I guess.

I have heard lots of different advice, some people saying you dont need to worry and using f8-11 as most things are at infinity anyway so you should shoot wide open at f1.4-4. Some say you can get away with 1/200 some say they couldnt get usable photographs at 1/500 and needed at least 1/1200

Also what lens is best to use, I mainly use fixed high quality zeiss prime lenses

I have a choice of these at the moment in addition to my 4k action cam which I will mount somewhere

Zeiss Batis 25mm f2
    Zeiss Distagon 35mm f1.4
    Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8
    or Sony G 70-200 F4

Any thoughts?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My thoughts? You must be out of your mind. Vibration will be the problem so best IS and shortest exposure time possible.

3. Ceri_Rust

Ceri_Rust Member

@PeteRob Out of my mind? Shooting out of helicopter is hardly a new concept

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I did a bit of this years ago. Set the shutter as high as it will go, set the focus to infinity and take whatever aperture you can get. Over a city like NY the big problem will be haze and I don't have any fix for that.

5. Ceri_Rust

Ceri_Rust Member

Haze can be fixed easily, and will be going early when it is clearest.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was the getting into a helicopter. Any aircraft that has only one engine and glides like a stone .......

Ceri_Rust likes this.
  7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Helicopters can descend quite safely after engine failure using auto-rotation. The real problem is if the gearbox seizes. But I certainly wouldn't like to bring one down by auto-rotation over NYC. A helicopter with no power is a lot less steerable than a light aircraft with no power (but it can land safely in a smaller space).

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Helicopters are far more dangerous than cows!

Source: The CDC estimates that 22 people were killed by cows during 2015 in the USA whilst IHST lists 31 fatalities resulting from USA civil helicopter crashes during the same period.

I think that proves my point fairly conclusively!

Cheers, Jeff

9. PhotoEcosse

Does "cows" include all cattle, of both sexes (and none)?

10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you'll have to seek that information directly from the CDC.

Cheers, Jeff

11. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

There are plenty of photographs available on the internet where you can find the ones you like and look at exif for focal length and settings. Which lens is best depends on what type of shots you want - sweeping vistas or vertiginous shots of a few blocks.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

13. PhotoEcosse