1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Required

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by KhublaiKhan, Jan 6, 2019.

1. KhublaiKhan

KhublaiKhan New Member

Hi All,

First post, hope I am in the right place.

I have always been interested in Photography but I have never taken the time to obtain a new camera, learn from a course and actually take up the hobby....until now.

Work has meant I have aclient who owns a number of gyms but very little web and social media presence. Even I know their material for a website and social media are their customers in various stages of look, some of whom compete at a national level in various disciplines. Suffice to say the stuff taken on phones is completely inadequate for their website.

I have taken it upon myself to buy some equipment and learn the hobby “on the job”.

I have a budget of £1600 and could push to £2K if I can be persuaded to do so but need advice on the camera (and accessories).

I have been researching the Sony A7 III, Panasonic GH5S or the Fujifilm T-X3 but thought I would run it past you guys. I am thinking that the Sony will give me excellent Video and Images in High Resolutions as well as future proof and have the availability of accessories. I am not sure what lens and microphone as well as gimbal I should get or maybe there is an option out there that will meet my needs but give me option to buy everything in the budget just for the body of the Sony, Panny or Fujifilm? Much of the stuff I will produce will be short, high res films and pics of people working out, posing etc etc.

Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I suspect the main equipment/technique challenge will be proper lighting.

For professional stills work I'd go for a full frame camera but I have no real idea about video. I think Sony now have a reasonable lens range but you need to check that you can put together the system you want. Although video capabilies are now standard on stills cameras there is a limitation on recording time (to do with tax implications on cinematic equipment) so there is quite some editorial work to do if you want to make films with stills equipment. Dedicated cinematic cameras and lenses are very expensive.

I'd class what you want to do as quite difficult. How long it would take to learn to do I don't know but I'd give it a few months before you make promises.

3. KhublaiKhan

KhublaiKhan New Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply, I intend to use multiple, very short 10-20 sec clips for the video aspects. Much of the work will be still images put together covering several months of an individuals progress. I agree lighting will be an issue but we will be "arranging" some video shoots purely for advertisement purposes. I have already told my client that this is a long-term thing so timing isn't an problem - I guess it comes down to whether a £1800 camera is needed or whether the same results (more or less) can be achieved from something costing £1000 (or less).

I will be using using this opportunity to get into Photography, as a web designer one of the biggest issues faced by clients is getting quality images, rather than paying a lot of money for Stock images which have a time limit and Copyright headaches. Learning to provide this as part of my repertoire will enhance my prospects.

Thanks

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I took some shots for a restaurant owner a few years ago, for website use. I found it was really helpful to have access to the place when it was closed, but all the usual lighting was on, so that I could experiment with exposure and white balance then rather than doing this 'on the day'.
    So when I took the shots, I was already set up which impressed him. He was expecting anybody with a 'serious' camera to be continually fiddling with settings and stopping to look at the screen on the camera.

KhublaiKhan likes this.
  5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

What lighting do you reckon, for a stately pleasure dome?

6. PeteRob

I'm not sure what one of those is - stately and pleasure dome don't really associate in my mind. Stately I'd think of as older architecture on a grand scale designed to impress and pleasure dome some ghastly shed full of noisy side shows and/or swimming pool with no provision for actual swimming.

The underlying task was to show a gym in use, with subjects demonstrating a high level of fitness. This is going to need a rather different approach to taking static portraits and/or interior shots. To make an athelete using, say a treadmill or rowing machine look good in situ is going to need quite some careful lighting. Deemphasising the background, keeping it all sharp while having a realistic sense of movement strikes me as challenging. I'd suppose the normal light in an exercise room to be hard panel lighting from above.

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

To diverse, John is referencing Kubla Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
    A stately pleasure-dome decree:
    Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
    Through caverns measureless to man
    Down to a sunless sea.

But to give you some idea of the type of shots required, you could take a look at what's available on a stock site, e.g. Alamy with a simple search for 'gym'.

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?qt=gym&imgt=0

8. PeteRob

Ahh, I suppose I should have seen that coming.

The Alamy examples do show how hard it is to light a gym! I'm amazed they sell!

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

But not this, which I started YEARS ago, but never got any further with...

In Tyne and Wear did T. Dan Smith
    a massive shopping mall decree;
    where Tyne, the poisoned river, ran
    past lead works hazardous to man
    down to the cold North Sea.
    ;)

Right, back to the proper thread subject.

10. KhublaiKhan

KhublaiKhan New Member

Great Link - which shows the quality I have to attain. Thanks

Any advice as which camera would suite?

Thanks

11. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

I love that this site mixes the pragmatic and the erudite so beautifully...

cliveva likes this.
  12. PeteRob

I didn't see this post earlier, the page must have been scrolled with the post that followed.

I've no idea about video.

For stills cameras the price tends to reflect robustness and ergonomics. Bottom models tend to rely on the menu system for controls while more expensive models have dedicated controls. Technically the differences aren't huge because the technology tends to trickle down the model range. You get some differentiation in terms of autofocus function which used to be the province of the very top models but even this is less different than it used to be. The main thing is to get a camera that you feel comfortable using and for which you can get the lenses that you want. Clearly you need to be sure that it can do the video side which seems to be getting quite complicated in terms of standards etc.

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

All this is way outside my comfort zone but I believe that if you are relying on lights flashing at 50 cycles / sec (as most florescent lights do) the go to camera is a Canon 7D of some description as it can work out the lit intervals and synchronise with them

14. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi, for video I would go Panasonic and invest in a LED light. With it’s constant light you will be better able to see the effect for both stills and video. Lens, I would opt for a wide zoom with large aperture, not sure of Pan lenses but something around 10-30mm range, and at least f4, preferably f2.8
    For indoor work it is the lighting that will be the most important, best of luck,
    Clive

KhublaiKhan likes this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

For what it is worth on a 50Hz supply lights flicker at 100Hz, once on the positive half wave and again on the negative half half wave.