1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Sullivan184, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Sullivan184

Sullivan184 Member

Hello

I currently own a Nikon D3300.

I have always liked the old looking cameras. I have recently come across a
    NIKON 1 J5 Mirrorless Camera with 10-30 mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

I was thinking of buying a smaller camera as it would be easier to take out in case a photo opportunity should arise as opposed to lugging around my Nikon d3300.

Would anyone recommend this camera or recommend one with the old look or am I just a wasting money?

Thank in advance

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know about this model but the first forays of the big makers into CSC's weren't great.

3. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

As I recall, they did not get great reviews on launch. Others who have been doing it longer, have ironed out early problems, such as Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus & Sony. The range of lens is also greater.

RogerMac likes this.
  4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The Nikon has a small sensor, the others mentioned above have a larger sensor, in some cases in a smaller or no larger body. I would suggest that you look elsewhere than Nikon 1. They certainly have had at best a lukewarm reception to be honest.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The Nikon 1 cameras are part of a sad tale. Nikon have some very good technology in the series but never used it to impress enthusiasts. There are rumours that Nikon 1 will be discontinued.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

When the Nikon 1 was announced I was interested so I downloaded Nikon's publicity samples and examined them critically. They seemed full of sharpening artefacts so I stopped being interested. I thought that if Nikon itself could not get the IQ right what chance did I have?