1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on New Camera

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Zebeddy, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Zebeddy

Zebeddy New Member

Hi All

This is actually a follow up post from a short while back.

My Canon 5D has finally packed up so I have been looking at new cameras.

I would like to take photos, (street, family, holiday and landscapes when possible). I would also like to get into videos and shoot some city videos and edit them in Final Cut Pro.
    I like the idea of having a small camera on me so when I pop to London, I can pop it in a small bag just in case a great photo opportunity arises. The issue with my 5D was the size.

The lenses I own are:
    16-35mm f2.8
    24-70mm f2.8
    70-200m f2.8
    2x converter
    All Canon.

I was looking at the Sony a6500 but the fact the screen is hard to see in light worries me. The fact I can use my lenses is a bonus, (I was thinking of getting a 50mm prime to keep on the camera for general use).
    I am now looking at the Fuji X-Pro 2 as an alternative although that means changing all my lenses.
    If I pushed the boat out I could just about get to £1800, (and I have seen a couple of a7riis for around this price) but I don't know if that is just spending all my money on the most expensive camera that I won't use enough.

I am unlikely to be photographing every weekend as my work and family life won't allow for that but I do love photography and want a camera I can potentially grow into or not have to change for quite a few years.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm getting swamped by a billion choices.

Thanks in advance
    David

2. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

If that glass is all L, then you have a very expensive to replace kit. I'd be looking at 2nd hand canon FF and save up for a good compact(£500 mark). The weight saving of the Sony would be negated by the lens. Mind, you would get a great sensor but also their menu system!!!!!

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well I was worried about price hikes with Brexit and traded my 5D (just had the mirror fall off) for a 5Ds just before the 5Div was launched. Just wonderful.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You are into Canon rather too deeply to contemplate a change really. Perhaps the answer is another FF Canon, maybe a 6D and something more compact for when you want a smaller camera. I think I would look at something in the used market, what springs to mind is a Fuji X-Pro 1, X-E1 or X-E2. These are all nice light cameras which perform well, have reasonable viewfinders and are quite low in price secondhand, compared with the current models.

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Yes a 6D would be the obvious choice if you want a smaler body. You are aware of the 100D? It is very light and small but might be to tiny compared to the lenses...

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Both 6F and 100D are just being replaced by the 6D MkII and the 200D.

Have to say that the 6D and the EOS M3 work well for me for both pro and personal stuff, covers most bases.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Despite some issues, I think with that much Canon glass you'd be better off buying into the Canon M-series, and getting an adapter.

Or, sell the Canon glass and you'll be able to fund a completely different system, but with fewer lenses obviously.