1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on choosing camera

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Babycakes, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I would be very happy to do that one day. Anyone who thinks equipment is a short cut to great photography is seriously wrong.

To the OP, I don't think an SLR is necessarily the best thing. In fact I would look at decent quality compact as he then could find his style and his subjects and make his own decisions on what system to buy into. A system is about much more than a Nikon or a Canon and a so so kit lens.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The pressures on a fourteen year old 'to fit in' are enormous. Being a bit 'arty' can be challenging.
    A DSLR from a major manufacturer, with a wide strap, and lots of buttons may not in itself be a good reason to choose a camera but if that results in the ownership of a very capable Nikon or Canon DSLR then who cares?
    By the way Calvin Klein is so yesterday.

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I am not going claim I know the world of teenagers. But I know a camera that gives you confidence and you like to use is very important. Almost to the point of being the main criteria when choosing a camera. Is that a DSLR? Who knows cameras are a very personal thing. I guess chatting about photography and or cameras could give an idea of what he likes and what he wants from a camera. But yes I suspect
    that there would be a pressure to fit in with the right name on the strap.

4. Ffolrord

The photographer is capable, a camera is not capable of anything without a capable operator.

I don't understand this forum's obsession with Nikon and Canon. What I hear time and time again is how it has to be either Nikon or Canon. What I rarely see is great images taken with those cameras. What I mostly see is average images that could have been taken with anything. Calvin Klein is so yesterday, so is the Nikon vs Canon argument.

5. nCognito

nCognito Well-Known Member

I think you are mistaking a discussion about a suitable camera for a young adult at school with a debate about photography.

Let the young man get a camera and develop his skills to the point where he can choose for himself his direction and his equipment. We are just suggesting a suitable start point given his situation.

If we want to continue this, I suggest we start a new thread, I doubt the OP is really that interested in our argument, we have all given our views and reasons, its up to her to choose.

6. Ffolrord

I have already suggested that I think a quality compact is the best starting point. Your second point merely repeats what I already said (post #21). I think it is important to point out that the suggestions of a Nikon or Canon DSLR will not be the magic bullet that people seem to be suggesting. I think it is entirely relevant to the thread.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Perhaps I can have a slight change of mind.
    Buying a camera as a surprise is a bad idea. The young man about to receive this present almost certainly has some idea about what he wants and why he wants it. It would be very easy to spend a lot of money and get it wrong. I think that he should take part in the specification and purchasing process.