1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for Safari trip and Star pics!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by snappysel, Aug 3, 2015.

1. snappysel

snappysel Member

Hello everybody, It's been 15 years since I used a decent camera having achieved an A-Level in it and processing my own black and whites in the parents loft aka 'Darkroom' all that time ago I since got distracted by other things and of course the mobile phone took over! So anyhow I'm off on Safari next year and it's a dream come true..I want to make sure I can succeed in taking moving shots and the stars at night..I wonder if any of you can shed some light on best overall compact cameras? Been looking at fujifilm x100t or EX 1 but so out of touch need any/all input from those who know more. Bear in mind I won't be using images professionally so for my own fun/experiment got to be very good quality but something easy to get to grips with before Feb 2016! Thanks in advance

2. King Kenny

King Kenny Well-Known Member

Welcome Snappysel. Got to ask... What's happening in February?
    Kenny.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

She's going on safari?

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to AP!

I have the x100t's predecessor the x100S and I love, love, love it for street and travel photography. It's small, light, discreet and I've had a lot of fun with it. I decided to go for that instead of an XE-1 because I already have a DSLR and various interchangeable lenses and I was after travel/compact/small but with DSLR quality. If I wanted to faff around with changing lenses, my argument went, I may as well just take the DSLR.

So I guess if it's a choice between these two models, that has to be your main consideration - do you want the choice of different lenses? Will you happy with a fixed focal length for everything? Or could you see yourself feeling limited with that and would you prefer more flexibility?

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Its too many years go that I worked in Kenya and went on down budget safaris with friends with whom I now meet up with in a reunion group. In those days a Pentax Spotmatic with a 300mm f4.0 was the kit.
    So what about today, 45 years later. Obviously digital with all that enhanced ISO performance.
    I am now a Nikon user, but the photographic tool is still a SLR albeit a DSLR. I would suggest a D7200 although I personally use a D7100 and D800 in that order. As for lenses, any decent Nikkor standard zoom for the social stuff; I use the 16-85 but would buy the new 16-80 if I was starting a fresh. For the animals then I am now out of my depth however if you look at the latest AP you will see that the current 80-400 Nikkor does the job rather well.
    I realise that the kit that I am suggesting is well over budget and is nothing like a compact but I assume that this safari is not cheap. Why spoil it for a half p of tar?

If you really must go for a compact/bridge then how about the Nikon Coolpix P600, or if you can afford one and find one the P900 Camera? The P900 is not needed provided that your guide/driver is any good but it is a 'nice to have'.

6. snappysel

snappysel Member

Good Evening and thanks for such quick replies and welcomes. .Learning: I had that Pentax hand down from my dad (not suggesting your age etc!ha ha) was a great camera...I've totally forgotten all the jargon tbh ..Will have to re fresh on what the terms mean! Geren: Thanks your info was helpful I looked at the fujifilm x100t but bearing in mind my budget and the fact I'll probably never use it again I thought about the XE-1 because seemed very similar but less money..tell me please is it possible to fit a fish eye lense and is the time suitable for starry night pics? I read 30 secs ideally on a tripod ? I have just retrieved two cameras out from under the stairs a:
    Fujifilm s2000 (only 10 mp so assuming no use for night shots)
    & Centon K 100 !
    Any idea if worth flogging ? Have yet to look on the classifieds.

7. snappysel

snappysel Member

Just a quick look at reviews on the Nikon P600..worth more investigation however I'm happier to pay a little bit more for something special pre loved...still all options at this stage...cheers for getting me started on it..

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

9. snappysel

snappysel Member

I have to admit I've fallen for the Nikon P900 I'm afraid..I tell you this because as Roger suggests that Sony camera will do the job really well, 30X zooms likely to be all I need right? It has the wi fi etc..useful for my business as I do take alot of pics of my work although from my samsung S5..so the Sony is an inexpensive camera I can afford to throw about on journey etc.. but since reading up on the P900 zoom and a picture of the moon (I was born on a full moon...ohh scary stuff) It's the pull I can't resist...I think I've made my mind up on the P900..blooming heck that was quick!

10. Roger_Provins

Great! Don't forget memory cards, a case of some sort (it won't fit in a pocket) and a tripod!

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Spare batteries....

12. snappysel

snappysel Member

Indeed! I now just have to find the best deal for it..appears to be a very popular camera right now. Shall keep you all posted and also I must update /personalise my profile page to include my Flickr account as you all must be on a Flickr group? Would be helpful to have technical input on wrongs/rights when I start snapping! Hip Hooray :)

13. Roger_Provins

No :eek:

14. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Sanppysel, and welcome to the AP forums!

Looks like you've had lots of good advice, and have made your choice of camera. Certainly from what I've seen, the P900 seems to be one of the best bridge cameras available at the moment. Several forum members seem to have got one, and have posted enthusiastic comments - have a look at posts on the Nikon section over the last few months.

CameraPriceBuster currently gives Jessops or CVP as the best deals on the P900:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Compact-Cameras/Nikon-Coolpix-P900-Camera

However, I'm another one not on Flickr - I use web hosting from my ISP for posting here. So I hope you'll be able to occasionally post some of your pictures here - either to the Appraisal Gallery, if you'd like critique, comments & suggestions for improvement, or the Exhibition Lounge just for display.

Anyway, good luck getting a P900 - I understand that demand exceeds supply at the moment, since lots of people think it's a very good camera.

15. snappysel

snappysel Member

Well fact is I was excitable last night...this morning I had a re think..while in town I popped into Jessops thought I should get close to some of these cameras. I like the bridge cameras also like the Nikon coolpix s9900 as it's packed with features and nice styling, I can get that, tripod and card/batteries for under £300 so great value however guy couldn't answer properly my star night picture question and when he looked on manual settings we only saw an 8 second delay so guessing that's not ideal? Also the aperture I was told a bridge would be better for night sky shots..so I am going to buy some magazines and keep researching for a while in the meantime if any of you are selling cameras that might tick my boxes feel free to inform me...With thanks :)

16. snappysel

snappysel Member

Sony cyber shot HX400? It has wide angle lens 20.4 mp and WIFI. ..anyone got this ? Ah..so much choice if I could go on looks it would be a fujifilm x100t or similar obviously too much money. I loved the travel tripod I saw today that's great..so much to the hobby thank goodness I joined AP !

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Of course a tripod is essential. All the 'experts' say that and in ideal circumstances, and with an ideal head (£500 gimbal), they may well be right. But lets be sensible. You are one person sharing a Landcruiser with several other photographers. All you need for camera support is a bean bag. Make one at low cost at home. Fill it with maize at your destination. A decent safari operator will save you the bother and will provide them.

18. snappysel

snappysel Member

Great thought and also I read to take a picture of my address and camp in case my camera is lost then (hopefully ) it will make its way back to me!
    Now onto the exciting stuff..I bought a camera and will be starting a new thread away from the introduction section, called: Guess what camera I chose?! I hope to begin my amateur photographer journey on that thread treating it as a diary and I shall start it with a selfie of me holding my new camera (could be a clue there!) Hope to see you there

19. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

What you say is sensible for the safari part of the question, but, depending on what precisely is meant by "Star pics", a good rigid tripod is probably essential for those - the astronomical variety, at least!

20. snappysel

snappysel Member

Yes indeed Alex...I'm looking for a fish eye lens and have chosen a travel tripod for now..aware I'll have to set it up on a garden table etc for night shots. I just want to get to know my camera really well before I go and see the wildlife & stars as I only have a few days in the conservancy and don't want to be thinking hard about snapping away.