1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Photoshop rule change to hit photographers

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, May 7, 2013.

1. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I think we can stand back and watch their own greed be their downfall, no one stays on top forever.

2. Ch3m

Ch3m Active Member

The new adobe policy do not take into account that maybe an amateur photographer would not change his pc every 3/4 years to follow the adobe version...
    Anyway there are someone that use photivo? It's free, multiplatform (win, linux and ?Mac?) and it works wonderfully although it is a bit complicated.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I thought CC also stored your files there as well, or at least data.

Still, as I won't be getting involved with mud-brick software it doesn't impinge on me (Yet)

4. NickM

NickM Member

Yet. It will do when Adobe adds LR to its Cloud portfolio.

5. NickM

NickM Member

Exactly. I'm stuck with LR 3.2 as anything newer won't work with WinXP, which I'm very happy with, on a 6yr old high-spec gaming machine which I have no plans to spend another £3-£4,000 replacing.

But, with 3.2 and a brand new dslr whose software isn't supported by a version of LR so old, I have to shoot in JPEG. Can't remember which, but it's either CR2/RAW plugin or a DNG plugin that I can't get to work with 3.2.

Meaning, Adobe will never see me paying them money for a setup that won't work on XP and let me shoot in RAW.

6. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

I read somewhere that you can license Photoshop from month to month - so the cost per year is not necessarily 12 x $20. So if you only use it in the winter, say, then it could cost 6 x $20 unless you live in Scotland where it would be 8 x $20 per year.

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I suspect the model will not work quite like that.

Adobe will probably allow you to keep paying rental for what you are using.

If a update requires a new OS then the user will have the option to say no to the update.

But what you might not be able to do is buy a old OS and old Adobe and use that. Because the full app download probably will not exist for the old OS.

I just don't think it is right to force users to connect machines to the internet. Photoshop has such a market dominance it seems quite unfair. Surely similar to MS forcing a particular browser on consumers. Except that was free situation. So this must be worse?

Especially when we get into the area of access to legacy work saved in PSD.

8. NickM

NickM Member

Interesting point just raised its head. So you can either pay a rolling year contract, or a month by month. The whole aim is that you get updates as and when, rather than once in a blue moon like now.

Okay, so there's bound to be a forum somewhere that tells you when updates are out.
    So you just sign up for/pay for that month to get the update. And revert to not paying, until the next one comes out. So you only pay for the months an update is out, rather than ongoing months.
    Can't see what Adobe have gained, other than alienate their customers.

9. P_Stoddart

Sorry, does not work that way. It does a monthly internet handshake to check if the account is upto date on payment. If it cannot make the connection again it will shutdown. Think of a TV provider as a model. No payment no picture. :) The updates will occur when the handshake goes to check for payment level. It will get a additional flag to say update available or if auto update enabled just download. Similar MS windows etc.

This where you get the issues of being forced to have the computer online.

There is no standalone option once CC starts up other than moving away from Adobe product.

I hoping that Adobe will see the flaws in this policy and introduce a pay as go structure along side the monthly rental. The mobile phone industry realised the flaw in such models and pay as go has changed that market in a very positive way. It certainly would be better for APs who might only use say PS once in while or when they fit in their shooting. But still want access to PS etc.

10. NickM

NickM Member

The PAYG idea's a good one. Especially if it's anything like my Vodafone one - I put a fiver on it in January, and if I don't make any calls (but receive plenty), I still have a fiver on it in December. :)

Don't know what anyone else thinks, but I use LR 3.2, PE7 and PS 7, all on a WinXP pc. Unless the world falls in, I won't be replacing them with anything.
    Should my pc die, I can pick up another WinXP one for a few hundred, reinstall those programs for free and start over.
    As far as I see it, future models of what Adobe's going to charge for had better really be ground-breaking for people to want to start paying monthly or PAYG for it. I mean, using LR as an example, does LR4 really do anything that you can't live without LR 3.2 for?

I know the Press reportage made a great deal about CS6 being an outright purchase of £1,800 so monthly charges instead of the outlay would be nicer, but come on, how many amateur photographers use CS6? There are cheaper and free alternatives.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Not that it affects me, but, if your payments are not up to date, or you are not contactable via the internet, does the program (installed on your computer) simply stop working? In other words, is there a routine within the programming that actually NEEDS to be reactivated by Adobe every month? And how long will it take the hackers to find it and make an over-ride available?

12. P_Stoddart

Yeah, that is Adobe plan. A periodical internet chat over payment level. Also hackers will be looking for the module that controls it.

But there can be additional tricks to overcoming hacks. For example most photographer want a accurate time stamp on their shots. So if the module does not get a internet time update (included in the handshake conversation) then sees a later date image being worked on. It can work out that something not quite right. The handshake is silent. It might not be once a month it could be more frequent while the app is in use.

But hackers are clever, so they might kill all of the protection. But you are then locked out of any updates I reckon.

But there are some big powerful companies out there in the software market. That might think it's time to produce a competitive product.

I read in the Standard the other day that Apple star is falling and Samsung are starting to hurt them. So try to keep a corner of a market can be really tough.

Also saw a really bad night time shot of London pages 2 & 3 of the business section as well. Really poor quality. :p

13. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Currently there are 2 pricing plans, month to month (£27) or a yearly plan (12 payments of £17.58) - the cheaper option is the yearly, but you have to commit to a year.

14. P_Stoddart

If you can stop and start the monthly, this could cost Adobe dear. :rolleyes:

You could get shooters do alot of photography over the summer months. Then in the winter just pay for 3/4 months of PS to sort the editing. :)

So Adobe only make £108 per year. That could end up halving their revenue. :p

Or shoot for a month then edit for a month.

All of which blows a hole in the constant revenue stream idea behind this.

I can't see the monthly plan lasting long.

15. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve updated LR to version 3.6 which runs happily on XP.

16. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

And all that hassle could cause photographers to go elsewhere. Marketing opportunity for Corel?

17. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

My sub runs until July, I'll probably have a look at alternatives on a month by month basis - first up is Pixelmator (mac only) for £10.49 - I've tried the trial and its looking ok - although it's lacking in batch tools - that said I may be able to combine it with the Macs Automator tools (free with the OS) as a workaround.

18. P_Stoddart

And that sort of post should make Adobe worried.

They are giving thought to users looking at other solutions.

I think software technology is very vulnerable to competition. In theory a couple smart teenagers in a back bedroom could come up with a killer product and cause problems. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Considering all the negative points that have been raised, things must have been going very, very wrong with the old model. Exceedingly wrong.

To the point that it may have been costing the company dearer than alienating a small part of its professional and a large part of its non-professional customer base...? Only Adobe know that one but it cannot be out of the question.

20. P_Stoddart

Surely not. :confused:

Adobe are now a huge company. Where did all that money come from? They built the company on PS and then expanded into new products. So that model made them rich.

In theory if the new model goes wrong it could make them poor. :p

I suppose the core user base is business. They will just pony up the dough and pass into their customers.