1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Photoshop rule change to hit photographers

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, May 7, 2013.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Isn't this being discussed elsewhere in the forums? :p

MJ - No need for any PM ;)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you actually read the news story, you would see that was actually part of the story, Bob. ;)

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I think they really meant "It will put money in our hands at a much faster pace". :)

5. RexK

RexK Well-Known Member

This move is really a killer for me!
    1. I live in Vanuatu and Adobe wont accept payments from here, despite the fact that I have a paypal account and my credit card is from an Australian bank.
    2. I am an amateur, this means that all my photo work is done on my home machine. I do not have an internet connection there. To get a connection with any near reasonable speed would cost me about GBP60 a month.
    3. If I cancel my subscription I can no longer use the software.

Cheers Rex
    P.S. I have posted this elsewhere and I make no apologies, I want his aired!

6. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

It has been said:-

‘No more buying Photoshop and using it for several years, just because you don't need the latest widgets and gizmos - you either agree to 12-monthly licences or month-to-month licensing which is going to cost.'

When in fact there is a third way. Use a different program. There are quite a few rivals (Corel & Serif make photo editing software).

Microsoft are pulling Windows 8 because few have been buying it. The same will apply to Adobe. The Serif version I know from experience, and is very PS like, and even works with PS plugins.

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I do hope that this is true, and that Windows 7 will become the norm again.
    I'm sure that my home desktop PC will need upgrading by replacement soon, and from what I have experienced of Windows 8 on computers for sale in the shops, I really do not want to have to do battle with it

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Common sense would dictate going back to XP - smaller, faster and more intuitive (though still not great). But an even better reason than the human/machine interface is the machine/machine interface: there are still lots of peripherals which will never work with Vista / Win 7 / Win 8 because Microsoft has chosen to freeze developers of device drivers out of the market, unless they are "approved" (meaning heavy licence fees payable, in advance, to the world's second greediest company).

9. biowizard

biowizard Member

My biggest worry with "CC" is that, if for whatever reason, you can no longer afford to may monthly/annually, your software will stop working, and you will loose access to YOUR creative work (PSD files, for example).

To illustrate just how bad this situation, consider the following analogy:

I haven't paid any money to Kodak for several years. Suppose they sent a bailiff round to take all my 35mm transparencies away so I can never see them again. And now that Kodak has gone bust, I couldn't even get my slides back by paying.

Twilight Zone? Or simply the New Reality. Thanks, Adobe, NOT.

10. Roger_Provins

Gimp (free) will open .psd files.

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

But then again I have CS3, Lightroom4 and a old Elements7. Why would I want to join a cloud service? What is there to gain for me as amateur? I alredy have to advances and complexed software package in the CS3.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

ACR would be the only thing that occurs to me.

13. Craftysnapper

Craftysnapper Well-Known Member

Well has he already has LR which is not cloud so it would not effect him. ;)

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I am certainly undecided about my future software direction.
    Windows itself has become a problem for me, as I only use desktop PC's and Windows 8 is not for me.
    I have Lightroom 4.4 and CS3 But have not progressed to CS6.... CS3 and lightroom 4.4 do not fully intergrate to and fro, and I would like that convenience, however there are workarounds.

I may well find myself setting up a windows 7 PC Just for photography and use it off line. To keep it virus free and otherwise unadulterated.
    (Lightroom and other updates are down loadable on any pc that is connected.)

15. Roger_Provins

The route I took, a long time back, was to dump MS, Adobe et al and install Linux (Ubuntu), Gimp/UFRaw and Darktable. Bit of a learning curve but soon mastered and the combo works very well. Price is nice too! :)

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Or another way to look at it, is that you could say Adobe becomes a blackmailer. :D

You can work on the stuff you shot as long as you keep paying us. :p

But miss a payment and the photos get it (ok not quite true but you never know).

Bit like rent a house with your best stuff inside and the landlord changes the locks. :rolleyes:

17. BarbaraL

BarbaraL Well-Known Member

Looks like the big boys are trying to get the amateur's togs out .. we also have another problem...but I suppose you all know about this one..
    Are you aware that very soon you as a photographer or digital artist will soon loose your rights of copyright online?
    New legislation that has been rushed through parliament with no thought has now reached royal assent. This legislation means that photographers and illustrators alike will see their artworks legally taken and used for another's own gain.
    So now what do all the one line mag sites do now....I know that one has already stopped ..DSLR.. went down a few weeks ago and not opened up yet...is this one of the reasons...
    So now where do we go from here... stop posting pics stop buying new cameras..putting people out of work...?
    have a nice day.... Barbara

18. BarbaraL

BarbaraL Well-Known Member

Its an oppps for the above....Its the DSLR USER thats gone down....:eek:

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The other thing to remember about cloud storage is, anything on a US server can have the FBI traweling through it on not much more than a whim. And even if (Yeah big IF) they don't find anything they can extradite you on (What's the betting on that) who's to say they won't trash your files out of casual malice (Out of frustration at not finding anything) or just plain carelesness.

Yeah OK paranoid, but these days paranoid is the new sane.

So yet another reason not to give Adobe any of my hard-earned cash.

20. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

With Creative Cloud you don't actually upload anything to the cloud, you download and run Photoshop locally - it just contacts Adobe once a month to see if you've paid for it.