1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a lens advice

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by steviej13, Oct 23, 2017.

1. steviej13

steviej13 Member

morning all,
    this is my first post as a member and I like some help if possible.

I'm looking to add another lens to my kit, I'm currently using a 90mm tamron macro and 18-35mm IF ED nikkor
    which both get used a lot (out shooting landscapes stop to do close ups as you might have guessed)
    Im looking to get a mid range zoom maybe at F2.8 are the tamron a good alternative to the Nikon line up price is a factor.
    my camera is a d600 if that needs a mention.

thanks for your time in advance

Stevie j

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Do you really feel that you're being limited by what you've got or are you just itching for a new toy? Either is a good reason to buy if you have the money but you will probably get more pleasure out of the purchase if you're clear on why you're buying. In terms of quality you could do worse than checking out the reviews on this site.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Only get a new lens when your present lenses can't do what you want them to......think carefully before you splash the cash, Christmas is coming and its going to be a long hard winter!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. steviej13

steviej13 Member

must say it is a bit of itching to get something new but a walk around lens would be helpful as the two I have won't do what I need

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You do have a gap, right where normal kit lenses would cover. Something like a 28-70 might be worth looking at here, given that you are using a DX camera and yes, Tamron are worth considering.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The D600 is FX - I bet that's what you meant to say!

Cheers, Jeff

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed, must have tapped the adjacent key and didn't notice!:confused:

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They seem to do a 24-120. I'd say that was a good range for a general use lens.

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've got the 24-120 f4 and I've no complaints about the standard of images that it produces on a D810.

Cheers, Jeff

10. steviej13

steviej13 Member

thanks for the input everyone I do fell like theres a gap in my kit both the 24-120 f4 and 28-70 f2.8 was my thinking too
    think ill hit youtube again watch yet more vidoes about these lenses

stevie j

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Better to try them on your camera to see the field of view for yourself and test the weight. I've never had a camera shop refuse - have even been encouraged to step outside so as to get a better test.

12. steviej13

steviej13 Member

that's one main problem I have there are no good camera shops near to me I have to travel into London for a decent one.

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

You could always buy a 50mm and zoom with your feet...;) You're covered for wide angle, the 90mm is a nice short telephoto and 50mm covers the gap nicely for a reasonable price too. :)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. steviej13

steviej13 Member

the 50mm is already in the basket I'm quite ashamed I don't have one already.

15. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Stevie,

Buy that; take pictures with it; see if you really need anything else...

Cheers,

R.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about F/2.8 if landscapes are your thing. With a D600 you should get a decent low-light response with slower lenses, and the lens will be lighter (if you intend it as a walkabout, then it may be important).
    If you do feel the need for a fast lens, perhaps someone with the latest version of the F/2.8 24-70 can vouch for it. I have the older non-VR lens, and can attest that it is utterly gorgeous, and probably the lens you would need to pry from my cold dead hands if I had to pick one of them.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Roger's advice on the 50mm lens. Any you gain very little by getting the f1.4 version, the f1.8 should be fine.

If you really want a zoom, the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 is excellent, and expensive. I am not sure that you need VR at this length but others are willing to pay for it so you have the option, if you also have the money.