1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adapter for M42 lenses on E-500

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by PeteE, Jan 6, 2018.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I treated myself to an adapter from SRB Photographic (UK) for using my M42 screw lenses on my E-500 4/3rds Digital body.
    It works ! not had a chance to play properly but here is a snap of it -- my £1 Camera Club Auction bargain Russian Jupiter 85mm f2 lens becomes a 170mm f2 lens !
    [​IMG]Adapter by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

peterba likes this.
  2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

It was explained on the 'manual Focus Lens' Forum that there is actually NO magnification with the adapter-- you get a smaller circle of lens coverage and it LOOKS bigger.. I screwed the Jupiter into my Asahi Pentax S3 film camera and had a look at my Boy's Tropical Fish Tank here indoors and noted the size of it, then screwed lens into the E-500 and looked and the SIZE was the SAME , but as the 4/3rds Digital has a smaller circle of lens coverage than my 'Full Frame' FILM camera the tank had less area around it.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes the effective focal length increase is nothing of the sort. What happens is that you tend to view the resulting image at a fixed size and not according to the sensor area. So you capture 1/4 the image area cf FF and view it 2x the linear size. Instant zoom! What is helpful, for telephoto use, is that the viewfinder covers the cropped area so it is easier to frame a distant subject with a CSC than a full frame camera with the same focal length lens.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

SRB's stuff is pretty decent quality, IME - I've had a couple of their lens adapters, and they've been good.

I've got to say, Pete, that if you picked up a Jupiter-9 for £1, you did VERY nicely! I've owned and enjoyed a Jupiter-8 (the 50mm f/2.0) for many years, and have kept a casual eye out for a J-9 to accompany it, but to no avail. I would expect to pay between £100 and £150 for a decent example, so I reckon that you got lucky! :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

peterba --- YES -- I got a good few 'bargains' at our Club Annual Auction ( which sadly has been discontinued) -- I also got a Canon 35mm f3.5 breech-lock mount for £1 at one auction !
    the GREASE on the Jupiter 9 85mm f2 must have been left over from the Tank Battle of Kirsk though ----

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Russian Jupiter 9 85mm f2 at f2
    Jupiter Test.JPG
    50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar at f1.4
    SMC Takumar test.JPG
    50mm f4 SMC Macro-Takumar at f16 with ring-flash
    Macro Test.JPG

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Glad to see the old E500 still going. It was my first digi SLR. Took it to Zanzibar and it did some good stuff.