1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ad blockers.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've just been reading a piece on the BBC website about the 'Great Bake Off', in which Prue Leith comments, "You don't have to watch it in real time," she says, championing the joy of services which let you skip the ads. That got me looking what services do exist. I remember some years ago hearing that in Germany, something like this was available with (I think) some car radios. An initial search just came up with Skipr.tv, so I 'm wondering if anyone here has used this?
    http://www.skipr.tv/

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We don't watch anything live at chez Flannigan. It's so easy to zip past the adverts with a digital recorder. I'm quite surprised the TV companies haven't demanded they be banned.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Try watching ITV on a browser with ad blocking, they don't like it, nor do a number of other web sites, Parkers being one. Also worth mentioning that discussion of such technology on this forum is frowned upon, hence my not mentioning any specific software.

4. Andrew Flannigan

I'm not talking about ad blocking at all because that's naughty. :confused: Freeview recorders are just like the VHS recorders the TV companies didn't like because viewers could choose the speed at which the programme was displayed.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They find them so horrendous that Sky supply them as standard to all it's customers.:rolleyes:

Geren likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Indeed. ;)

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am only glad that we don't have the level of advertising that our US counterparts have to put up with. I watch almost no TV here but in the USA I watch none at all.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

iirc you used to be able to buy a VHS recorder that would automatically fast forward through adverts. It used to check for the tiny rectangle that used to come up on screen (top tight, I think) to know when they were coming. Could be why the rectangle doesn't seem to appear any more...

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

A german court recently decided that the operations of an ad-blocking service was perfectly legal. Just don't ask me which one!

Lynn

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think the channels / shows now charge a premium for the front and end sponsors just for that reason. People tend to fast forward, and then stop when they see the sponsor screen, and don't start fast forwarding until it pops up again. So they bookend the show with those short pieces and they stick in your head more than the adverts (which you don't see).

Also, not sure if you've noticed, but some adverts seem to show something absurd or weird, and it sometimes encourages us to stop and watch it in a 'what the hell was that' moment, so I suspect ad agencies are working on stuff that grabs your attention even at high speed.

Geren likes this.
  11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Go on. I dare you.

12. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I use a Humax Freesat box which gives me all of the BBC programmes and all the "commercial programmes I might ever want to dip into and allows me to FF through the odious advertising.

I still pay a Licence Fee but that is the limit of my expenditure. (I think).

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK then +

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You don't have to watch it at all.
    It is however difficult to avoid the silly soggy bum jokes from the program. Even Radio 4 at breakfast time has been infected. Jack de Manio would have never let that happen.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Ad block +

16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I only watch BBC live, all the rest goes through the filter of being recorded and then jumping through the Adds.
    That they put adds in things does not mean that you have to watch them, nothing illegal in giving them a miss.
    Many programs are so bad I lose the will to watch them any further if they are live, and I hit the first add

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I have to say I love American Football, but only if recorded so I can zap through the breaks. But what I object to most in many programmes it their assumption that you have entirely forgotten what happened before the break and so the first 30secs or more is taken up reprising it. It drives me crazy and I usually end up shouting get on with it at the screen. In Child Genius last week, they started from scratch with what the whole thing was about after every break.

18. Andrew Flannigan

They obviously thought the audience couldn't understand the title. ;)

19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I rather like a lot of the free stuff you can find on the Interwebs, so I will never use an ad blocker. I even click on appropriate ads from time to time to encourage Google to get my tastes right, and make the advertiser happy.

I hardly ever watch television, apart from an occasional Euronews bulletin, so that doesn't bother me.

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have adblock on permanently as an extension to Chrome. If I visit a site, more often than not a news site it asks you to pause it which I do. I don't mind seeing ads that say run down the side of a page, but it's those that totally disrupt your viewing that i hate and it is because of those I use an ad blocker.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.