1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acid availability

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, Dec 6, 2017.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Depends on your response to it

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

If you want something truly nasty try Piranah Mixture, a combination of 98% sulphuric acid and 30% hydrogen peroxide.
    Never used it myself, and hopefully will never have to, but if you need to clean really clagged up glassware it's the stuff to use.

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Sounds a better option than the Chromic acid many older procedures recommend for critical glassware cleaning. :)

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Oh yes, made chromic acid in the past, a bit hairy.

Remember the old method of cleaning burettes with conc nitric acid and ims? Thankfully banned before I might have had to use it.

5. Petrochemist

Not something I've tried, in fact it's been quite a while since I've used a burrette & when I did it was always with things that where reasonably easy to clean.
    It's the glassware for elemental analysis that tend to cause me problems. Sometimes I'm trying to measure elements at the low parts per billion range - it doesn't take much to cause contamination with that. Last year I tested a sludge sample for mercury - analyzing ~0.1mg sample (the smallest I could weigh with any kind of vague accuracy) contaminated the instrument to the point it took over a week to clean it up for normal testing. :(
    My boss agrees we won't do similar samples in house again!

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Given the competence of some low-level technicians, perhaps "titration" should be split into "tit ration".

(Not an attack on you, Petrochemist. More an observation on the skills of some... um... as I say, low-level technicians. I was quite good at that sort of thing at school -- which helps me understand the degree of care required).

Cheers,

R.

7. willie45

I keep imagining this thread is a plea for information on behalf of some Jefferson Airplane fans

LesleySM likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Do people still take acid I wonder? You don't really hear about it anymore.

9. willie45

I believe so. Mind you, a thing I never heard much about in the UK was Crystal Meth. It didn't really catch on. I was a bit surprised.

Now I'm in the mood for another viewing of "Breaking Bad" :)

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes, they do. I don't hear about it as often as I used to but there was some kicking about a few months back when folk were still having "festivals" in the woods....you know the kind I expect....unauthorised and often unwelcome but everyone is so far out of it the cops don't want them moving on.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nige,

You may not have many friends of the right age. I am given to understand that it's still readily available. Given recent studies on the usefulness of LSD in treating depression I've been wondering about trying to score some myself, to try it for the first time.

Decades ago, a good friend said (from a position of experience), "Acid gives you something. But it also takes something away. Don't try it unless you really, really want to."

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A job best outsourced to experts.Don't forget the risk that before resorting to strongly oxydising mixtures, organic solvents may have been tried. Any contamination of the Piranah mixture with organic solvent such as acetone might be literally fatal at worst, or severely disfiguring at least. I would expect there to be strict H&S rules governing the use of this stuff.

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

According to this suicide rates drop 10% with legalised Cannabis and it can be an effective antidepressant with far fewer problems on the withdrawal side of things. Without it I don't eat or sleep much for a couple of days and would be particularly bad company but it's not the end of the world.

https://herb.co/2016/09/20/antidepressants/

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Here you go: Piranha Solution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha_solution

Even for an experienced Lab / Industrial / Research chemist it's scary stuff.

Edit, and here's a safety PDF from Cambridge University

https://www.safety.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/hsd176c.pdf

15. Petrochemist

Thanks for that Dave

The amount of organic's in our lab probably mean it would be extremely dangerous to try it, and now I've seen that it hydroxylates the glass I see it wouldn't be any good for our critical glassware anyway due to the increase in active sites.