1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accented languages, are they less error-prone than English?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My random thought for today!

My first introduction to accents was when learning French in the first year of secondary school. I came across other accents when in Germany doing National Service in 1958-9. English which we're told comes from the Anglo-Saxon and Norman French does fairly well without the benefit of accents. English is also very free to taking in words from other languages, and seems to be the stronger for it. French, on the other hand, has strict rules, as does Welsh, and to me these rules seem to hinder these languages keeping up with modern and evolving usage.

Do accents help or hinder, and does our use of the English qwerty keyboard have a bearing on what we think?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought about it but English usage does make use of accented vowels, it is just that the written form doesn't make pronunciation clear, it is all down to memory and custom. This latter does of course vary across the country. I get mocked at home because these days I inconsistently toggle between short and long 'a' when I say words such as bath, path etc.

I don't think that prescribing how the vowel is spoken impacts on the adoption of new words into the language.

Zou likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I wonder if that applies to Chinese tone rules...

Both in this country and in China.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No idea about French, but Welsh is evolving like any other language.

S

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

:);)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. steveandthedogs

Unlike the leavers!

S

peterba and dream_police like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It would be a heck of a job finding different accents for, for example, ough in a word.

I am tempted to ask how you know there isn't a lot of error in other accented languages. Or do you think that guarantees correct pronunciation? French, what about Franglais? Adoption of other languages into their own. Slang, new technology, modern pop music etc?

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

To say nothing of regional dialects - Geordie, or northern english versus southern english, Scouse, Black Country etc. Or, for France, Lingue d'Oc and Lingue d'oeil? Germany with Low German, Swabian, Bavarian etc. I'm deliberately leaving out the Slav languages!

Lynn

Catriona likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Dialect is a modification of a common language, it may be spoken with a marked accent but also contains words unique to the locale. Most language development/evolution tends to destroy dialect and move to a more homogeneous language. I remember that when I was a teenager there was huge interest in recording the spoken word from those born in the 1880-1890's who were last speakers of dying dialects.

10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Accents only start north of Watford gap

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Ooooaaarrrr?

Catriona likes this.
  12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

What about all the people (some on the AP Forum) who cannot even use an apostrophe correctly when typing in English?
    They don't have the excuse that the symbol isn't on the keyboard.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You need to send them here: http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

:D

peterba likes this.
  14. steveandthedogs

Disagree with his CDs/ CD's.

The apostrophe there is surely to denote missing letters.

S

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You need to watch some of PeteE's vidoes - he's got a real old-fashioned south Essex accent the way they used to be.

Adrian
    (not the possessor of any sort of Essex accent)

peterba likes this.
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Set in context the apostrophe is redundant in informal settings like this forum. If you're bright enough to know there should have been an apostrophe, then you clearly comprehended what was written without one.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The problem's hardly one of underuse...

18. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

C'D's?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

How do you work that out? Surely if that were the case it would be C'D'ss

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Also, the French might have their little language committee banning the official use of words adopted from other languages but it doesn't stop French people from using them. I spent six months in Paris and don't remember any of my pals arranging to meet up at le fin de la semaine. We all got together at le weekend!!!!