1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A sign of the times

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by SXH, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Calm down folks. Centre yourselves. :cool:

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Wish I had some good ones. I do enjoy a giggle.
    These simply needed a bit more planning.
    sign of the times 1.jpg sign of the times 2.jpg

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Nah! I prefer being a lot left, but a bit right when I have to be. ;)

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The fourth rule of life? To go with, "Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman* whose troubles are worse than your own."

;)

* other genders are available on request...

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

On the beach
    [​IMG]

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I don't have a picture of it, but on the way home tonight (well, technically to the pub but let's not quibble about it) I'll pass the end of a road called Michael's Wife Lane.

The story goes that in the early 1600s this road - at the time unnamed - lead to the farm of Michael Nuttall and his wife Mary. The local council had told Michael to repair the road on several occasions but he'd taken no action. They levied a fine on Michael without effect and finally decided to take him to off to be placed in the village stocks.

Not wanting to suffer time in the stocks Michael asked whether he could be let off if he paid the fine and fixed the road. The parish council agreed to this, knowing full well that Michael didn't have the money to pay the fine because his wife had a firm hold on the family purse-strings.

Michael had a message passed to his wife Mary, and when she arrived he begged her to pay his fine. Unmoved, she asked what she'd gain from this arrangement, to which Michael replied that he'd name the road after her so that her name would last for years into the future. Thinking that 'Mary Lane' had a nice ring to it, she had Michael swear before witnesses that he'd name the road after his wife, at which point she paid the fine and he was released.

The next day Michael had the signpost put up saying 'Michael's Wife Lane' and the name remains to this day!*

Cheers, Jeff

*The current road sign actually says 'Michael Wife Lane' having been put up on its current incorrect form in the late 1990s.

Catriona likes this.