1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quiz

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Aug 5, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As some of you know I have some issues relating to PTSD. I have been on an NHS waiting list now for 10 months (I probably will pay to go private now).
    With all of the talk by the govt, celebrities, royalty etc in relation to mental health I decided to contact my MP (Esther McVey) for her and her governments take on MH and the time taken to get help. I emailed her over 2 weeks ago, and other than a holding reply from a secretary I have not had a response.

So,
    1, How long do you think it'll be before I get an actual response?

2, What will her response be? Honest and genuine or bull?

If I am being honest I am not expecting a great deal but felt I needed to vent after all, they have bigger things to do like bugger up the country.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've lived with depression for something like 50 years now. I'm lucky in that it can be controlled by the right medicine. The thing is there are very few good MH practioners and in all the time I've been coping with this I've met only 1 NHS psychiatrist who was effective plus a non-NHS practioner who helped me with things like breath control. I'm not trying to be negative but if you assume the worst you might be pleasantly surprised at some point.

All the best

3. dream_police

I know what you are saying. I am awaiting CBT. I have looked online and there are loads of private practitioners in the area, but they could all be useless as far as I know, hence why I used the local ones that are linked through the NHS. You could either self refer or go through the doctor. I had a long phone consultation 10 months ago, they confirmed I should have treatment and then nothing. If you contact them they tell you that they are sorry but they have a long waiting list but if concerned see a dr, go to A&E or give the Samaritans a ring.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Are you still a member of a Union? Sometimes that can help give them a push or even offer counselling services.

Up where I live, we have one of the worst records on treating mental health. It's terrible. Our NHS services are almost non-existent. For a small population our health is not good. Last year alone, 800+ people were flown to Glasgow for treatment. God knows how many to Inverness (somewhere I will not go to ever again).
    I had an appointment for counselling once a few years ago. I kept the appointment - she did not. What can I say?
    I wish you all the best. I did used to know a guy at the hospital once. He was the chaplain? He was approachable and not holier than thou (I'm not religious) and a good listening ear.
    It's a sad state of affairs.
    Kate

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Absolutely right. Some have only a certificate in it from a year's study and are not a lot more than shoulders to cry on. We get leaflets from some in our area you'd have to laugh at. The BACP directory is full of them.

You need to look for a proper degree in psychology and wide qualifications. The best and most experienced will be able to augment the basic CBT techniques with a range of other treatments like Mindfulness, Acceptance and Commitment, Schema etc. CBT itself doesn't suit all and the therapist needs to be able to find what's right for you, not fit you into the only solutions they have. The best do take some self-referrals, but most of their patients are direct from the Consultant Psychiatrists and insurance companies. These only keep referring if the results are good. Look for BABCP Accreditation, not the other organisations and see who BUPA are referring to on their site.

More via PM if needed.

6. dream_police

Other than the Retired Police Officers Assoc, I am not a member of my previous ones (the PFOA were good at the time, they supplied private counselling for both myself and my wife. TBH I never thought about looking into what my current one will do.

Re a chaplain, because of an issue I currently have with the church (but that is another story which may or may not get told, and if the press ever got wind, well the Daily wail would be creaming their pants) I want absolutely nothing to do with that organisation.
    It is not a listening ear that is required really. It is CBT to try and deal with the PTSD as and when it appears and at the moment it is a bit too frequent.

Catriona likes this.
  7. dream_police

Thanks for the advice Mike. Pity I do not have private insurance, it will be out of my own pocket.

8. RovingMike

But BUPA, PPP etc have used their monopoly to force the rates right down. Most will want to charge £120 a go, but might settle for £75-£80 if say they are working from home, without all the room hire and secretarial costs and a clinic or surgery demanding a share.

Worth it to get fixed properly and not messed around and it is roughly what you'd pay to get your car fixed by someone with no qualifications. Probably have to budget for 12 sessions.

9. Catriona

One thing which helped me (told to do it by a young GP) was to write a letter. Put it all down. Vent! I did. It did help me regain some se'f-respect, which I was lacking.l

(RM please don't disagree! ;) )

10. RovingMike

What I mean about BUPA is you can use their site to see who they would refer you to if you were covered. They tell people they are paying for who they can select from in their area if the psychiatrist has not specified. Sometimes it is a company consultant who diagnoses.That will be one of the quality filters you can apply.

11. RovingMike

Hey, if it works!

I frequently tell people who are not having therapy to do that. Works for me too, in fact I wrote a whole autobigraphy that won't ever be published. Very satisfying.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

It does feel like taking control of your own identity, doesn't it? In fact, it gives you an identity. This is me, the one you never saw.

Zou likes this.
  13. RovingMike

Definitely. I wish I'd discovered it 50 years ago. Think it comes down to the fact that writing things down uses far more brain functions.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  14. Catriona

Me too.

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Nige, a friend of mine sees a private therapist in Nottingham. He really rates her. It's all very personal though, what suits one person may not suit another. https://nottinghamcounsellingtherapy.co.uk £30 per session. They've really, really helped my mate.

It's taken my wife most of her adult life to get proper diagnosis of her mental health, including PTSD. She got lucky about a year ago and is seeing an NHS counsellor who's really making a difference. Derbyshire mental health is significantly better than Nottingham (although still terrible in the broad scheme of things), but the guy she's seeing is really willing to work with her.

I agree with Mike, often CBT alone isn't enough. That's true for my mate and my wife, who both tried it without success, but their current therapists are using other techniques as well.

I hope you get some support soon.

16. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Back in the early 1960's I suffered what I guess is now called PTSD. I was a young copper thrown in the deep end of some pretty ghastly situations (serial child killer among them). I was just told "you'll get used to it" and for quite a while I thought I had but, of course, it surfaced again - worse if anything. Fortunately the organisation I was by then working for had a superb counselling section who managed me through it. But it took time.

17. dream_police

It obviously affects people in different ways. The stuff I dealt with at work such as murder victims, 2 of which spring to mind very quickly and I can picture in my minds eye, being shot at etc have had no affect on me (I don't think) perhaps because for the most time they were nobody to me (and I don't mean that in a callous way). Mine is as a result of more personal tragedy.

18. dream_police

Thanks. Obviously Nottingham is a bit far for me but the link you have provided will be useful for my daughter who lives in Nottingham.

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. dream_police

The point of this thread though was more to do with the NHS and the waiting time and your thoughts on what Ms McVey will respond with. It is recognised that MH issues are a large concern. Should the NHS be providing better care for sufferers? I am fortunate in that I could afford (within reason) to pay but should I have to? What if I couldn't? I dare say it maybe a year before I get an appointment, is this acceptable, should we be expected to fund this ourselves as the NHS is overstretched as it is?

20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Nige, if you have been diagnosed by a psychiatrist as having PTSD look into EMDR therapy as well. It may sound a bit strange at first but it does work. Make sure your therapist has all the relevant training in it though. I've heard of practitioners who have done one day courses - proper training takes many hours of training over many months.