1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A lot of advertising towards the back of the magazine.

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotographerSLR, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is very rare to have this sort of rantish post in this forum.
    Perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Don't feed trolls. Don't quote them. Put them on your ignore list.

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It turns out that if you give a monkey a computer it's not the complete works of Shakespeare that it eventually produces...

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

When I first started buying AP regularly, the editorial was almost centred in the mag. When the bookshelves started groaning it was easy to destaple, keep cover and index plus editorial and bin the ads ...

... but

... in time, part of the charm of an old copy of AP are the ads as well as the editorial.

I have a copy of AP 18 July 1962, bought recently for some winter dark days nostalgia :rolleyes::eek:, 138pp + 4 cover. Ads at start go from 0(i) to p98(!!!), then there is editorial on separately numbered pages 83 to 130, until the ads start again from p111 to 140. I'll leave you to do the math! Before you get too excited about the amount of editorial I should point out that some ads were mixed in with that, especially on the few colour pages - 6 (!) in the centre.

In the heyday of AP when it had a readership per issue that would bring a smile to the face of a broadsheet newspaper Editor today, people bought the magazine just for the ads. Some did so when buying a camera for the first time or upgrading. Others, experienced photographers or beginners on budgets bought it just for the Classifieds ...

... which leads neatly on to ...

... the fact that AP always has had a very mixed readership in terms of ability from the raw beginner as above to the experienced amateur and professional. {Which makes the APOTY restriction on pros not just regrettable but a little daft! ;)}

In a week when I have complained about Benchistas rudeness to another poster, I really cannot let your excessive rudeness pass.

By all means disagree with a Thread or the view of another poster, advance some cogent, well written*, arguments why they are wrong, or explain your viewpoint more fully but please don't result to rudeness and insults. It lowers the tone and can drive others away from the Forums and AP's web-site.

You live in a state with certain freedoms, free to buy your choice of magazine, free to comment, criticise or complain to the Editor and his team {if they are wise, they will listen - a magazine, to an extent, belongs to its readers} free to speak your mind, to be rude, even. But the latter will just make others 'walk away from you' and ignore you. We will be hurt and upset but you will be the biggest loser; unlikely to be listened to, unlikely to have influence or bring change for the better or lead others to greater understanding or knowledge.

I think you should apologise sincerely and wholeheartedly ...

... and ...

* write with a little better spelling, grammar and construction before you correct others! :D

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Oh Dear Sean, You have reached the depths now - Cheerio :(

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

It was obvious from the first post that this fellow was, shall we say, a sandwich short of a picnic.

I really don't understand why anyone took the time to attempt to be reasonable.

MickLL

7. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

I shan't bother then :)

8. wozza

wozza Member

That's not really true.

The number of pages in a magazine is determined by production (costs), and editorial needs (inc reader expectations) and ad sales requirements.

If the sales team get back from lunch on time and sell an extra 10 pages, editorial might get a bonus six pages to play with. But only if the ads are high-yield. :)

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Moderators can't put people on their ignore lists for obvious reasons :p

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I feel shortchanged if there is not a Sigma advertisement with a rather good photograph taken through their lens rather than of their lens.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can't we? Well I tell you this, I'm not taking the one, er, gentlemen that's on mine off. :p

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There's quite a bit near the front as well. In the issue of 20 Oct 2012 Sony have an adverisment for their RX100. The quality of the pictures is every bit as satisfying as those from the readers and editorial. I do however wish that it was possible to encourage the big internet dealers to give us something inspirational. Perhaps if they showed us an image shot by one of their staff or customers made with their latest special offer then there might be a win, win, win outcome for the magazine, the reader/potential customer, and the advertiser.

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Excellent idea. Seem to recall one or two do this and others have. Sigma, for example.

Always thought it would be a smart move for dealers with a retail outlet: 'This camera and lens took this picture. Come in and have a look at the camera and see what it could do for you.'

14. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

The adverts have always been one of the important parts of AP. The new CameraWorld Classics ads in vintage style are, to my mind, brilliant and look very like AP of 1972 when I started reading the magazine. But then there were hundreds of camera shops (before J*****s bought them all up and closed most of them down) and lots more camera and lens brands (new Nikon F2 Photomic body £320.00 from Dollonds Photographic, new Leica M5 body with Summilux F1.4 lens only £734 from Harefield Photographic). Ist June 1977 edition which I still have had 266 pages of which the last 88 pages and the first 94 pages were all adverts - so it's a good job you were'nt around then? Question - am I the only person who needs a magnifying glass to read the Camtech and Ffordes second hand adverts ?

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Possibly. But I have an unfair advantage. Being short sighted, I take my glasses off and read them with the page held about 3" in front of my nose! :)

16. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Very good Alex. I use the same technique but still cross over from one line to the next part way across the advert - keep seeing Nikon F2 Photomic black Mint £115 - and then have to re-read it and see that the F2 is £650 and the £115 just buys a Nikon FE on the line below.