1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A lot of advertising towards the back of the magazine.

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotographerSLR, Aug 8, 2012.

1. PhotographerSLR

PhotographerSLR Well-Known Member

:) Just my opinion
    1st of all i do enjoy the mag a great deal & have got a lot of great advice from it over the years but is it necessary for the mag to have so much advertising as i have counted at least 30 pages from page 60 to page 90 in the latest issue.
    Also i do understand that some advertising is quite essential for any photography magazine *Before the natives come out with flaming torches & pitchforks* :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, it's great, isn't it? I just wish we could get back to the days of the late 70s/early 80s when there was loads more advertising. I loved reading all those ads, and learned so much from them.

3. PhotographerSLR

Well i say lets have a mag of ad`s then slip in a few pages here & there of actual photography ;)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The number of pages of ads have never had any impact on the number of pages of editorial content to my knowledge (and that's been stated here by the previous AP Editor IIRC) - although clearly as you implied in your first post, if there were no ads, there would be no mag.

5. PhotographerSLR

Yes obviously as it`s necessary for all photography mags to have ad`s but there does seem to be quite a lot although i would prefer a little less & a bit more content.
    I cant fault the content in the mag so far as i have been buying AP for many years :)

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

So you'd like AP to turn away some advertising revenue, and put the price up? :)

As Nick says, in the good old days AP was a much thicker magazine packed with adverts, a lot of which were very informative and interesting. Of course, in those days we didn't have the internet, so ads from the likes of Tecno and Wallace Heaton were great sources of information. In fact, i think I still have a binder somewhere with some ad clippings!

7. PhotographerSLR

Nooo now pay ATTENTION to my posts lol i did not say that did i. it was quite obvious what i meant & that was there is a lot of advertising & it could be eased up on. quite simple if the Ed knows how to i suspect ;)
    plus i happen to buy 5 main photography mags & i pay at least £4.99 to £5.99 for them & the advertising is not as much as AP so if the price was put up a little for less advertising then that would not be a problem for me.
    Maybe some people in this would are skinflints i`m certainly not. :D

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Well if the amount of advertising was reduced the price would go up. At £2.70 AP is still remarkably cheap, but it does work out at over £10 a month, so I suspect there's a point at which some people would stop buying it every week.

Not just because they're skinflints, but we are in a recession! You must be spending over £35 a month on photography magazines, which I suspect is unusual.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, you certainly didn't say that - you expressed your opinion perfectly reasonably. I personally disagree with you, but that's an entirely different matter. ;)
    Incidentally, I can tell you from previous answers to this sort of post that the Editor has absolutely no control over the advertising in the mag - nor has the advertising any control over him. :cool:

10. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

When all the ads were are the front, eh?

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Now that's before my time. Ads were both front and back back then.:cool:

12. PhotographerSLR

Oh yes VERRRRY suspect to spend £4.99 on 5 mags per month ;) then if some people stop buying it then so long & good buy it`s better to have a mag a bit more full of content & an extra cost then to have 1 with more ad`s than actual main content.

I guess i`m the only 1 who spends £20 + a month on photo mags or is it because i take what i do seriously :D
    & Noooo i`m not suggesting people that just read AP & that`s it don`t love photography nor do they not take it seriously
    no doubt as many do buy more than 1 mag like i do they i would say prefer a greater in-depth look into photography in all areas.

13. PhotographerSLR

Well of course you can disagree with me :D would be a boring world if we all agreed with each other yes true the ed cant dictate the ad`s in the mags that would be down to the publishers who should really think about greater quality that Ad quantity.

14. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Couldn't we have the editorial pages as a pull-out supplement? Then we could easily discard the great mass of advertising stuff.

... thought not :(

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

They've already thought of that - see here. :rolleyes:;)

16. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Ah, they're making ready then AND self removing :)

17. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Does not compute... :confused:

18. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Sean,

Would you like buy my spade? Or, maybe you're finished digging your own hole :rolleyes: ;)

19. PhotographerSLR

No thanks my foundations are pretty sound i`m sure.
    interesting to see ppl would prefer 30 pages of ad`s though
    looks like here forum in general comments need to be politically correct or the flaming torches & pitchforks start being waved in the air lol
    quite funny actually :D
    well i stand by my comments & i`m not changing them for nobody :cool:

20. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Like others I enjoy scouring the adverts whether I intend to buy or not.:cool: