1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A fruitful car boot sale

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Aug 12, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Classic - "Old, not yet thrown away".

Picked up these two beauties at the Cropredy car boot sale yesterday. When I saw the box camera was blue I was expecting a Kodak but in fact it's a Coronet and it even has a fold-out portrait lens. Both are a big surprise as Coronet were the cheapest of the cheap, turning out low-quality junk for most of their history as far as I can tell. The colour is about halfway between the two pics - I know, I should use teh grey card etc etc, but I wanted to share the thrill of discovery (where are youe, steveandthe dogs, everyone else is already wondering what all this old junk is!). IMG_5638.jpg IMG_5639.jpg

Then I spotted the little VP Twin - an even better contender for cheap shite than the Coronet but with an interesting history (http://www.onetwoseven.org.uk/cameras/edbar/) plus the knowledge that Brian May's first camera was a VP Twin, and it came in the campest camera case I have ever seen! Pity the name plate is a bit damaged, but I'll forgive it as it works, and I still have some ReraPan in hand. There cannot have been many half-frame 127 cameras as the negs are hardly bigger than 35mm, somehow I don't expect the VP Twin to give images anything like my Certo Dolly with it's Tessar lens, and even they are a bit piffling. Speaking of film... yes, an exposed roll of Verichrome Pan therein!

Adrian

Attached Files:

Geren, steveandthedogs and Fishboy like this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Nice!

Never got into boxes, but funnily enough thought about treating myself to one the other day. Those are in good condition, it seems. Looking forward to seeing the results.

S

3. gray1720

If you want a box that will give nice results, go for the Kodak No2 series - 3 Waterhouse stops gives you a bit of control over depth of field. Just make sure there's nothing on the rollers to scratch the film - though that applies to any box camera.

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. steveandthedogs

As good as Dad's No 2 folder?

Which still works.

S

5. gray1720

As far as I am aware, it's the same shutter, set of stops, and the same (or similar) distance to the film plane, so they should be comparable. Of all the people who will know this you are the prime suspect, so I don't know why I am bothering to tell you, but make sure you've got a 120 one - makes life much easier!

Adrian

6. steveandthedogs

Or a old pro. conversion of a No3, he says smugly.

S

7. gray1720

Smartarse.

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. gray1720

There are images on the film from the VP Twin! Dunno what unti I scan them, as they are so small (half-frame on 127 isn't far off 35mm size), but definitely images!

ETA - about ten of them, despite being rolled to the end the film doesn't seem to have finished. Currently drying...

Adrian

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    steveandthedogs and peterba like this.