1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few from the weekend

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Aspadora, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Aspadora

Aspadora Well-Known Member

I had a few free hours so went to Martin Mere at the weekend, managed to get a few I was quite happy with! Still battling the image quality a little bit though, bit of a cloudy day and not much light meant I couldn't get the shutter speed i wanted and a bit of a higher ISO. My lens is also definitely not long enough!

[​IMG]DSC_2980 by Michael, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_2889 by Michael, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_2975_2 by Michael, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_2917 by Michael, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_2944 by Michael, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_2974 by Michael, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_2913 by Michael, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    RovingMike and Dan S like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The greenfinch and mallard are very good.

3. Aspadora

Thank you :)

4. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

This type of photorgraphy eludes me, it's not until I tried I realised how hard it is... They are really good, I especially like the second one.

5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Spelling seems to be eluding me as well :rolleyes:

6. Aspadora

Thanks, i really appreciate that! Yeah I've been struggling with it a lot, to be honest, I'm always amazed at how good some people's pictures are and wonder how on earth they have managed to get them!

Dan S likes this.
  7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I know this is the Exhibition lounge but I would like to make a general comment about lenses & technique. Modern lenses like the 70-300 are generally very good but they do tend to be a bit weak in terms of resolution and sharpness when wide, or close to wide, open particularly at the long end. With the maximum aperture range of this lens I'd frankly not go below f8 unless it's otherwise impossible to get the shot. If your D3500 is anything like my D7000 it should be able to produce very usable results even in the 3200-6400 ISO range. OK that may require a bit of careful tweaking with the noise reduction option but the results should be worth it.

Anyway back to the pictures, a rather nice set especially DSC2917. :)

Dan S and Aspadora like this.
  8. Aspadora

Ahh I didn't go far enough! f8 is a lot smaller than I thought I needed to go to get rid of the sharpness issues - interesting! I will definitely try and keep it towards the smaller side next time, and increase the ISO, thanks. Suggestions are always welcome, even if it is exhibition lounge!

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It's generally held that most lenses need to be at least a stop down to get the best from them, for your lens that would work out as f6.3-9 over the whole zoom range, f 8 is a reasonable compromise that avoids having to check what focal length you're at and adjusting accordingly.

It is possible to buy lenses that can perform well wide open - provided you have sufficiently deep pockets...;) The rest of us have to make do with 1-stop down and up the ISO...:rolleyes::)

Aspadora likes this.
  10. Aspadora

That's handy to know. I think I'm going to be 'making do' with the 1-stop option for a LONG time :)

11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

All this information is very helpful,. Thanks :)

12. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. But I struggle to just get the creatures even in the frame! I guess practice is the answer to that. :)

Aspadora likes this.
  13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Some people throw a lot of manure at a wall, and hope some sticks. Works for cricket...

Actually, there is a serious point there - if you find the right spot at the right time, you can afford to blaze away and pick out the good ones.

Adrian

Aspadora likes this.