1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Digital Camera - Sony DSC H400

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by spinno, Sep 5, 2016.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Following my recent hernia repair we went away on holiday. I had decided that I wouldn't take any photo kit apart from a compact as it was only a couple of weeks after the operation and I shouldn't be carrying anything too heavy. Well you know what it's like....
    I invested in the above camera. It's probably as heavy as my Pentax Ks-2 and 18-135 lens- well at least that's how it feels.
    My previous Bridge camera was back in the day(2003) a Minolta Dimage 7i which was absolutely wonderful and until I dropped it down a flight of stairs. After that DSLRs entered my life.
    Anyway back to the review.
    I had always considered that for my shooting a bridge wasn't good enough, however this camera has been a bit of an eye-opener. I recognise that there are compromises to be made and accepted when using this type of camera, and being open minded I gave it a go.
    At it's widest it's a 4.4mm lens- equivalent in old money (35mm) roughly 24/5 mm, and the images produced are quite good provided the light is ok and not too dark.
    The colours are generally pretty accurate, I generally shoot at iso 200-400 and got nice images at this level whereas if I upped the ante to iso 1600 then noise was an issue. At the far end of the telephoto at 1500 mm( 35mm equivalent) I thought there would be little of value in terms of quality of the image produced. I am pleased to say that I was wrong. Whilst at first glance some of the images appear unusable because of contrast issues, with a little bit of post capture correction decent useable images can be produced.
    I haven't used the flash so I can't say anything about that but I would imagine that it's helpful rather than useful.
    The only issues that I have had with it...
    The EVF produces a relatively tiny screen which can make it difficult to focus/compose
    The Optical Steady Shot is helpful, but I would recommend use of a monopod/bean bag/ tripod if using at the longest end.
    The accompanying manual is not at all helpful- if you go on line you can bookmark a page from the Sony website which explains more.
    The EVF and backscreen- there's no option for switching without using a switch- in other words it doesn't change automatically from one to the other, which happens with CSCs that I have seen.
    Other than these there are the usual suspects, such as slow zooming, ease of use of controls/menus etc. My opinion on these matters is that you will over time get used to them - practice makes perfect.
    All in all bridge cameras are getting better (some are getting more expensive as well ) and I would say this is a reasonable compromise camera, If I had to ditch all my other DSLR/CSC kit for just one camera it wouldn't be this one but maybe just maybe one with a larger sensor,and probably a bit less zoom.
    I will put some images in the Exhibition Lounge for your perusal sometime today.
    Edit
    The other issue is that it doesn't do RAW only JPEGs straight out the camera, which are quite good, The images would probably be ok up to about A3 size.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's a better review than a lot you can read around the internet.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Use in the real world is better than pictures of minute lines... (IMVHO;))

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Of course I forgot to mention video.... mainly because I haven't used it! but it does 720p video clearly behind later bridges which do 4K and beyond

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member