1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A. Digital Camera - Canon - EOS - 5Ds

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by bench_ubbster, Jul 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Now, I wasn't really in the market for a new camera, but the control dial of my 6D developed a fault (it didn't work) and I needed a camera for a forthcoming trip to Vienna. The 6D is almost my perfect camera, the only thing I can find fault is the autofocus, just not up with the best (especially for taking pictures of moving dogs). So, if I was looking for a 6D replacement I was going to wait until the 6D mark II and see what that was like. However, fate determined that I needed a camera now! Without doing much research, I plumped for the 5Ds (it's a '5D' camera and is bound to be good). Before the 5Ds arrived, the 6D righted itself, just some moisture (from a wet dog walk) and I was in two minds weather to send the 5Ds straight back. However, when it did arrive, I mounted a lens, looked into the viewfinder and it was love! What a clear, bright, expansive view and that was just for starters. I quickly found my way round the settings and found a 'head-up-display' which added more than the usual focus points, exposure settings to the viewfinder and I was in even more love. Found the perfect AF setting for erratic movements, it was light-years ahead of anything I had used previously and it works. Whilst waiting for the 5Ds to be delivered I thought I better have a look to see what I was getting and by all reports, the picture files would be large an unwieldy, noise creeps in at relatively low ISO and the ISO doesn't go that high. Anyway, I can now confirm indeed the raw files are large (~60MB per picture), but not unwieldy (each raw take about a minute to process and convert to jpeg in DXO and a little bit quicker in DPP that's with an i5-6600K CPU @ 3.5GHz and 24GB ram). As for ISO and noise, I haven't really pushed the camera enough to comment. I generally just leave it in auto-ISO and even with high shutter speeds (required to freeze and beagling Beagle) I haven't noticed excess noise. Inspecting files from the recent trip to Vienna, all were taken hand-held and some in relatively low light, noise is not an issue. You can see some of the results here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskEg9UBJ
    Did I miss the wi-fi and GPS of the 6D on my trip to Vienna? Nah. I may miss the wi-fi for setting up remote wildlife shots, but that's about it. I think the 5Ds is a keeper. I will know for sure when I take it to Pembrokeshire in a few weeks, it's meant to be OK for landscapes, but it ain't too shabby for everyday stuff either.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I agree. I went from 5D to 5Ds. The only two things I dislike are:
    1. the review magnification controls are moved! Drives me crazy
    2. In manual focus with auto-focus point selection only the middle point lights when focus is acheived. with the 5D all the points in focus would light which was useful using a TSE lens.

3. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

I tend to use manual focus only for macro, but I see what you mean. I would have thought this would be an easy thing to rectify with a firmware update?