1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Different Day at the Seaside

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by RovingMike, Sep 19, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Maybe, but I was anchored the other way. I expected him to look right, into the shot and was happy when he did. But then in processing I just felt the looking left and out was more "me", even if no judge on earth would agree. Anyway, not going before any judges, so not bothered.

EightBitTony and Dan S like this.
  2. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

That's interesting you say that because I would say that the fact that he is looking left adds an awful lot, almost like he is denying the empty deckchairs and that no one is going to turn up, looking away from the emptines. Where he is looking right, lessens the effect somewhat, in my opinion.

3. RovingMike

That was my feeling, yes. But when you are out there, it can seem different. Would have lost a lot if I had not taken the looking left while it was on offer.

Dan S likes this.
  4. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

It's interesting why the judges wouldn't agree?

5. RovingMike

Oh some might. But some are just programmed automatons that don't try to really understand the picture and apply stereotypical things like people have to look in, or move in, not out. Thing is if they start with beginners section and work up to the Advanced category, they tend to take a lot of the basic things upwards with them. In fairness, it is hard for them to know when they are looking at someone who is making a basic "mistake" and someone who is applying a personal style. Also a lot of them just ain't that good themselves.

6. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

That makes a lot of sense, thanks:)