1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

A Different Day at the Seaside

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by RovingMike, Sep 19, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Prompted by Smartiepants' excellent set, I 'll put up some of my quick visits to Weston-S-Mare and Bournemouth weekend before last. Decided to do a theme of "Late Season" rather than the familiar seaside out of season and looking sad. So idea was sun is still shining, but people are mostly gone:

[​IMG]_9080969mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_9060935mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_9060904mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Rest here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rovingmike/albums/72157710775568937/with/48707261647/

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The Winter Gardens Pavilion works wonderfully in mono with that cloud - very "winter" even in September!

Dan S likes this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I do like coastal work and these are what I like.

RovingMike likes this.
  4. RovingMike

Thanks yes the cloud was amazing and I knew it would work well in mono. Still can't decide if upright isn't better?

[​IMG]_9060908mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Smartiepants likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Oh that's great! I wouldn't say one is better than the other but I've rarely seen the same scene look so different between the two orientations.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

As usual, Pete took the words out of my mouth. Very different feel.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Got to agree with Pete, upright it's a very different picture...

If I didn't know better I'd fear it was the Great Fire of Bournemouth...:eek:

8. RovingMike

Yes that's what I saw, but it is Weston. I did a lot of work in conversion to make sure the roof and cloud didn't merge.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Shows you how long it's been since I went to Bournemouth...:oops:

10. RovingMike

Me too with both. Had been many years.

11. RovingMike

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  12. EightBitTony

Love 2 and 4 of that second set, both for different reasons, but lovely shots.

RovingMike likes this.
  13. RovingMike

Well they're the real "seeing eye" shots, I think. :)

14. RovingMike

15. EightBitTony

Maybe not, but I like it. I might like it more in colour but guess it's quite complex then. I love the moment of confusion where I thought the Ice Creams were sitting at the table.

16. RovingMike

Well it is very bold and bright in colour, but I though more a part of a high summer idea than off-season.

17. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

No.2 of the second set is just wonderful, so much to love about that shot, I really like the numbers 1 then 2 and then the three deckchairs.

18. RovingMike

Must say, I never thought of that at the time, I was too busy waiting for him to turn this way. But then I realised the first one I shot was better (or not?). The deckchairs were just underlining that no-one was around.

[​IMG]_9210375mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

19. EightBitTony

I prefer the original, something about him looking through the window out of the frame makes it more enjoyable. But it may be anchoring (liking the first one because I saw it first!)

Both work though.

Smartiepants likes this.
  20. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

They do look so lonely. And the chap looks like he was expecting a busy day in the first shot, poor fella, it tells such a great story!

RovingMike and EightBitTony like this.