1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Cunning Plan?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Fishboy, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'd like to run this by everyone - please see if you can poke any holes in this idea!

I've got a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 lens - it's a thing of beauty and I get a lot of use out of it. The problem is that it'd sometimes be nice to stick an ND filter on the front of it...but the price for filter holders for this lens is exorbitant!

Here's where the cunning plan comes in....

I'm thinking of buying a spare lens cap for this lens, cutting the end off it and mounting an ND filter flush with the end - possibly with superglue - resulting in a push-on ND filter at a fraction of the price charged for even a filter mount!

All of the existing filter mounts have to, by definition, hold the filter in a plane that's forward of the built-in lens hood and they claim that they do so without vignetting, so if my home made push-on filter is sitting flush with the rim of the lens hood then surely that's not going to cause a vignette either?

What does everybody reckon? Is it a goer or is it going to fall at the first hurdle?

Cheers, Jeff

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

There's really only one way to find out!

RogerMac likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that the lens cap is like the ones for my Samyang ultra wides - a pill box that sits over built in lens hood? If so, think about this - at 14mm the depth of field is such that any mark on the filter has the potential to be in focus or close enough thereto that it will affect the image. I found this out with my Samyang 14mm and a shot through a dirty window pane but never mind that. Have you considered putting the ND filter at the back of the lens? I haven't done it myself so this is just a suggestion.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The lens cap/filter holder will cause vignetting at the wide end as the hood is a "cut away" type and the lens cap will cover the cut-outs.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Sounds as though it might be like a cunning plan from Blackadder...

6. Fishboy

What I don't understand is that the commercially available filter holders for this lens all have the filter further forward than the end of the hood, yet they claim to cause no vignette?

Cheers, Jeff

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jeff,

Surely they must be well flared out, to allow the use of a filter significantly larger than the diameter of the lens hood? Otherwise GeoffR's objection applies.

Cheers,

R.

8. Fishboy

That makes sense - but it's not an insurmountable problem. I'd need to use the cut down lens cap as a collar and fit, say, four struts, each of which holds the corner of a filter somewhat larger than the front element of the lens (150mm square) and then fill in the gaps between the struts with plastic card so the whole affair is light-tight.

This is rapidly progressing from a 'quick fix' into a piece of structural engineering!

Cheers, Jeff

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

Have you considered a simple clamp-on filter holder? With a big box on the front?

Cheers,

R.

10. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I would be tempted to make one it should be easy enough to strap something onto the end of the lens....if you are a tripod man just hold the filter in front of the lens......when I first became aware of filters I once met an old boy who said his first set of filters were made from the orange/yelow plastic wrapping of a lucasade pop bottle......(sorry about the spelling) that of course was in the 50/60s...

11. Roger Hicks

Indeed: also consider Wiggly Worms and Flare Buster. Instead of using them to hold the filter directly, use them to hold a lightweight open-top, open-bottom box over the lens to act as a shade as well as a filter holder. Both WW and FB have lots of other uses too.

Cheers,

R.

12. Fishboy

Now, that sounds like a plan. I've always looked for a good excuse to buy myself the magnificently-named 'Wimberley Plamp'!

Cheers, Jeff