1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of questions for you guys please. Knowledge is power

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by iCraigCoriolis, May 9, 2017.

1. iCraigCoriolis

iCraigCoriolis New Member

Hi everyone,

I've recently just moved house and have decided to take up photography as i'm in a nice rural location. I've bought myself a Sony DSC-H300 to get me started while i'm out and about in fields, woods, on the canals and around a few lakes, I also have an interest in close up photography.

I know the camera I have is fairly basic but I wanted to get something to have some fun with for a few months before taking the plunge and buying a higher model by Nikon or Canon potentially.

If anyone could help me with getting my H300 to shoot in black and white ? if that's an option. I can do it on my computer if not.
    The second thing, i'm struggling to get a nice blurred background on closer shots and a couple of portraits. I've messed about with the aperture setting but i'm half guessing and not getting any good results.

Any help would be greatly received and I apologise in advance if I've said anything idiotic :p

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Nothing you have said is the least bit idiotic in fact it is quite insiteful.(if that is a word!)

First the blurry backgrounds you want but can not get. Unfortunately this is a feature of short focal length lenses, it can be proved mathematically with considerable difficulty but is very easy to demonstrate experimentally. With the Sony I think you have a 1/2.3 inch sensor which is small (and results in short focal lengths being used in the lens itself) and the best you can do is to try to manage it - best to use as long a focal length as possible and separate the main subject from the background (if possible) then open up the lens as far as it will go (smallest f number) and hope for the best Unfortunately this is one of the reasons that we normally recommend cameras with bigger sensors. Some people claim to be able to do it in post processing but I have not tried this and I suspect that it needs considerable skill

Secondly B&W, I am afraid I could not find any on line specs for that model If it is a feature it will be somewhere in the menu system.. However many people (including myself) do recommend conversion in post processing as you can vary the way it is done. That said my daughter prefers to do hers in camera as she can see the effect as she composes the shot. So it is a matter of personal preference.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As said already compact cameras tend to have large depth of field as a result of the short focal length of the lenses used. Overall this is "good" for the popular market, camera phones etc. In days of film the number of "fails" due to a combination of poor focussing and shallow depth of field made snapshot photography a bit of a gamble. For close up photography the added depth of field is actually useful. Go to a bigger camera and getting sufficient depth of field becomes a struggle.

I'm suprised the camera doesn't have a mono-mode. They tend to have all sorts "effects filters" built in these days. You are overall better doing the conversion on a computer. You have more control over the conversion and you still have the colour image.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To achieve this you'll need to understand what depth of field is and how to manipulate it. This page should help you get a handle on it http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have the H 400 and alas there is no mono setting, there's colour extraction, or colour pop.

6. iCraigCoriolis

iCraigCoriolis New Member

Hi everyone, and thanks alot for your replies ! definitely given me a few things to think about and answered all my questions. i'm going to persist with the H300 for a couple of months, maybe less. That will give me time to learn the basics abit more before moving up, and also i'll have plenty of images to mess around with on Photoshop to keep me busy.
    once again, thanks for all your replies !