1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A combination you won't see every day

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by John Farrell, Jan 21, 2019.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

IMG_4108s.jpg

An Agfa Ambi Silette, with a 130mm F4 telephoto lens fitted. The lens is rangefinder coupled, but the accessory viewfinder is used for framing, after transfering the focus distance to it.
    When I bought the camera, it had a sticky shutter, so I dropped it off to Chris Sherlock for a service. It now works like new.

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Nice one, John.

I know someone who owns a Silette, and - if memory serves - it looks somewhat different from this one... ;) :)

3. John Farrell

I also have a couple of Silettes, and two Super Silettes - one with the f2 Solagon lens.

peterba likes this.
  4. peterba

I get the impression that you own........ a 'number' of film cameras, John. ;) :D

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. John Farrell

Yes - a number.........I try to use them at least once, with a film, too. I loaded a film in the Ambi Silette this afternoon, and I have a film almost finished in a Pentax S1a.

peterba likes this.
  6. peterba

Likewise, John. I do try to use them in a kind of rotation, but I'm only too aware that some are used more than others.

I think that the collective noun for the array of film cameras that I own, is probably: an "embarrassment". :)

John Farrell likes this.
  7. John Farrell

A valued collection of historical artefacts......

peterba likes this.
  8. peterba

That's what I try to say, John - but I think that SWMBO is less than convinced. :D

Done_rundleCams and John Farrell like this.
  9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

First decent camera - i.e. not a box camera or Instamatic - I ever used was a Silette. My dad had taken it as security against an unpaid debt, and about 12 years later, decided it would never be repaid and started to use it. It produced pretty good results, and got me hooked. And I learned to estimate distance and exposure right there and then.

Done_rundleCams and John Farrell like this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I have a (probably) irrational dislike of the Agfa 35s but I do like their 6x6 Isolette folders. Particularly the III.

Done_rundleCams likes this.