1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A camera for close up still product shots? - Novice

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by David Glover, Jul 19, 2017.

1. David Glover

David Glover New Member

Hi there,
    I am a complete novice.
    I need to take pictures of products which I sell. All my products are smallish, i.e fit in the hand down to the size of your little finger nail.
    I have a small light box setup which I have simply been using my iphone in and it just isn't much good at getting sharp close up detailed pictures.
    I want a suitable camera (and or lens) that will give me decent results and won't break the bank. I don't intend to use the camera elsewhere or in other scenarios and it will be stationary on a tripod at roughly 20-30cm distance from lens tip to the subject. I do want them to be sharp and details though.
    Can you please recommend something. I have read about macro cameras like the d3300 but I think the recommendations for attachments and lenses I have seen seem TOO good, I don't need to catch a flea smiling. If you think of a pile of screws and how to get a good close up shot, that is probably what I am aiming for :)
    Thank you!

2. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

most compacts with micro will do. At £500 a Panasonic LX100 would fit the bill, the nikon will need a micro lens, which will make it as expensive.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'd first ask why the iPhone shots aren't working - and which iPhone it is, because the iPhone is quite suited to close up style product shots. Do you have the phone secured or are you hand holding it?

4. David Glover

David Glover New Member

Hi guys, Thank you for the quick replies, it is an iphone SE which, I am using it secure and I tried delayed shutter so it wasn't being wobbled but the pictures looked a bit grainy and underexposed.
    £500 is quite a lot more than I was hoping to pay, I had found Nikons D3300 with a variety of lens for close to that, I figured they had a lot with them I didn't need.
    EightBitTony, do you think my issue may be more the lighting and conditions than the camera?

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Post some images (use 'Upload a File') and we'll be better able to tell.

6. David Glover

David Glover New Member

Here's a couple, the yellow item is about 3cm across, the blue item is about 1.5cm big. The yellow one didn't come out too bad, but it seemed a bit grainy to me on the lines/edges of the item. The blue one just seemed dingey, figured that was an underexposure issue I could not control on iphone?

Attached Files:

7. David Glover

David Glover New Member

Ordered an olloclip which apparantly can help with macro and will try to setup better light to see how far the iphone will take me ;-). I half expected scowls for trying to use it :)

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am a bit worried about the "size of your little finger nail" if you mean that object to be somewhere near frame filling you are probably into serious macro work and a significant budget might be needed

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I found the Olliclip quite difficult to get used to at first - it creates such a shallow depth of field that you will need to experiment to see if you can still get everything sharp. I think your main problem here is light. Yes, you're not getting sharpness because you are trying to get too close in with a camera that's not designed for it, but you need more light!

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not enough light. Either it is a bit close to focus or your have movement. Compacts are quite good for close work, the trouble with bigger cameras having bigger sensors is that you lose depth of field. Sorry no recommendations, the models change too quickly to keep up.