1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Bit More Band Photography

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Fishboy, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The landlord of The Flying Horse managed to snag a booking for a band that had opened stage 2 of the Cambridge Folk Festival on Thursday and were due to perform at the Tartan Heart Festival in Inverness-shire on Saturday. A stop off in Rochdale along the way seemed like a reasonable idea to them.

The band is called The Whiskey Shivers - a bluegrass music band from Austin, Texas.

The landlord got in touch with me and asked whether I'd take some pictures - in return for a 'small consideration'. It's a good job that I like taking pictures and that the band was absolutely cracking because three pints paid on at the bar (of a total monetary value of £7.50) - when compared to missing my usual Friday night lift home and having to pay £11.00 taxi fare instead doesn't make very good economics!

Anyway. The band. They had a gentleman playing a double bass - which I believe is referred to as a 'string pig'.

[​IMG]WS15 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

They had a banjoist. Or should that be hyphenated? A banjo-ist...

[​IMG]WS14 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

They had a smiley guitar-playing chap...

[​IMG]WS9 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

The had a fiddle player with a genuine, down-home, Texas mullet. The all-purpose haircut which says 'business' at the front and 'party' at the back!

[​IMG]WS3 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]WS8 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Being colonial chaps who played bluegrass music, it was notable that they played with an absence of footwear and chugged back cans of Coors Light between songs!

[​IMG]WS4 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

As it happened I had a thoroughly enjoyable night and even managed to spend a total of six hours in the pub on a Friday evening without having to be taken home in a wheelbarrow!

[​IMG]WS1 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

saxacat, John Farrell, Snorri and 2 others like this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jeff,

Very nice stuff, especially the first, fourth and fifth. The photography, that is, not the Coors Light.

Though it has to be said that while most "brewed under license" beers are much worse than the original, Coors Lite is better in the UK.

Cheers,

R.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very nice. Looks a great gig.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'm going to the Rewind North festival today (handy as it is only a couple of miles away) and want to take a camera, more for the people than the bands. Their FAQ state no professional kit, no SLR's and no cameras with interchangeable lenses. Looks like it'll be phone only then.

Do these foreign people not wear shoes?

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Great stuff, apart from the Coors Light...

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. Fishboy

It was a five piece band and none of them wore shoes on stage - I don't know why, maybe it's traditional with bluegrass music?

When they were off the stage four of them put their shoes back on - the exception being the fiddle player who just walked around barefoot all night. Barefoot around a town centre pub with beer spilled on the floor from the crowd jostling about. That's not something I'd have attempted.

As far as the Coors Light is concerned, the pub in question prides itself on the twelve hand pumps on the bar (ten real ales and two ciders) and makes a point of not selling any kind of keg bitter. They do sell lager, but Coors Light is not one of the products on sale. I believe that the 'rider' for the band included the Coors Light, one bottle of Kentucky Bourbon and one shot of tequila per band member per song!

Cheers, Jeff

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Nige,

My Terms and Conditions and FAQ say: no photography, I don't go.

Cheers,

R.

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

Cultural signification. To quote a friend of my parents from Georgia 50+ years ago, "Hell, I got clear through to 14 before I realized people wore shoes in summer as well as winter."

Cheers,

R.

9. dream_police

As it happens, I looked at a set of T&C's from the organisers as opposed to just the FAQ. Cameras for personal use was fine and I got it in without issue. Probably shouldn't have bothered though to be honest!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Fishboy

Just a little epilogue to this tale...

When I walked into the place on the evening in question with a couple of friends, I said to the lass behind the bar that I believed I had some beer paid-on. We were all a little stunned when she informed me that, yes, I had three beers paid on.

It has since come to light that there was a bit of a breakdown in communications, and that I supposed to have free beer - all night! Free beer, not three beers!

Cheers, Jeff

peterba likes this.
  11. dream_police

Looks like you better go back for the rest of your wages.