1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 Year Old Box Camera

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by beatnik69, May 20, 2019.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

one for the film enthusiasts. This one caught my attention as the photos were taken in Belfast, where I live. My only comments are that Johan the trumpet-fiddler make a horrible bloody racket with that thing and the Sunflower is a great wee pub for a pint. :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48202565

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've seen a bit sharper - I suspect he might have been a bit wobbly - but those are quite reasonable.

This pretty much sums up what I'd have written about, but in more detail.

Adrian

Zou and beatnik69 like this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

But a different angle, no doubt.l

Stop procrastinating and get your quill out.

S

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of box brownies that are pretty similar to the one here, though mine are 5-10 years younger.
    Personally I prefer folding cameras of a similar age, these generally have a bit more in the way of controls - though it turns out my latest addition (a folding brownie that I brought with a jammed opening mechanism) is a single aperture/single speed variant with a basic meniscus lens :(

5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I tried a TLR last year and it worked great despite being over fifty years old. Its main drawback apart from my lack of skill was the cost. Digital has enabled us to snap away see the result instantly and all at no real cost. I had wanted to try and use different film cameras made in my lifetime but at over twenty quid a pop to buy the film and get it developed I just can't afford to carry on with the project.:( buying old cameras is the cheap part using them is the expensive part of it. I failed after my first attempt.
    Don

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

This is certainly a problem, Don - although I do find that shooting film tends to curb the desire to take 97 shots of the same thing on a 'just in case' basis (with the consequent implications for Hard Drive space), or simply to take shots which aren't really worth taking, just out of an 'itch' to press the button. (Or, is it just me? ;))