1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7d vs 5dii sports ??

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Oct 16, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I’ve been using the 7d (Mark 1) with 70-300L for sons soccer
    I honestly cannot fault either the lens or the 7d’s tracking - pretty much 100% reliable, it’s me that gets it wrong

BUT - I really would like smoother images. Would I gain anything by using the 5dii (centre AF spot) then cropping more than I do with my current set up?

ive had no complaints at all - the parents constantly gush about the pictures, but I honestly think it’s only because they compare with what they get with their smartphones.

Or

would selling the 5dii and either buying the 5diii or 7dii be better.

Do not want to change lenses, the 70-300L is heavy enough.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What do you mean by smoother?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The 5Dii retains the AF from the original 5D which wasn't the best for action. I went into a shop to get a 7D in order to improve on the 5D AF. I came out with a 1Div instead - warning - never pick up a 1D series, you won't want to put it down. If you want to improve on a 7D get a 7Dii.

If you go full frame and you currently use your zoom at full extension then you'll need a longer lens. I found I can't use my 5Ds (which replaced my 5D) cropped as successfully as I expected because the image in the viewfinder is too small, so I continue to use my 1Div (x1.3 viewfactor) even though the AF on the 5Ds is as good.

4. PeteRob

PS. If you find the 70-300 too heavy, and if it has a tripod mount, use a monopod with a simple tilting head. A monopod screwed into the camera itself is too awkward to use.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I think you're just suffering from a bout of G.A.S. The 7d +70-300mm L combination should be capable of excellent image quality. Before spending money, give your 70d a go.

6. pixelpuffin

Ok
    Main issue I’m having is noise
    ISO is set to Auto, camera set to M
    Wide open 1/1000th
    Weather is all over the place - last weekend it fluctuated from 6400 - 100!!

A lot of the time I’m so engrossed in following and anticipating what’s coming next I forget to zoom right in - hence heavy cropping later. Also I only shoot JPEG.

the 70-300L is about the limit I want to go. I can handle for the full match - but would suffer if I opted for the 100-400Lii

Monopod?? I’ve never been able to work with them. I did buy the manfrotto pouch that hangs from your belt and holds the monopod - not yet tried it.

The 5d is only being kept the simple reason it’s full frame - however after trying macro a few weeks back using both crop and full frame I’m now left wondering if keeping is justified...I was just as impressed with what the crop cameras delivered - plus just realised my 5dii doesn’t behave the same when ISO is set to Auto and the camera is on manual, I tried it over the weekend and everything was grossly underexposed - whereas all the crop cameras I have constantly adjust the iso to give correct exposures.

The 1d idea is intriguing.... I have A LOTof canon stuff to sell and if the 5d goes then that will also make half my lens collection redundant as most are replicated in ef-s.

7. pixelpuffin

Sorry MIB
    Only just saw your reply
    I’m going to tr the 70d this weekend - its a very important match - I just hope it delivers at least as good as the 7d

As for GAS - not really, I buy, try and sell it costs nothing in the long term despite the initial outlay which is recouped once resold.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If noise is the issue then your 70d is a much better performer than your 7d. If you find its better, but want the 7d build quality, then look to get a 7d2.

9. pixelpuffin

Cheers MJB

I’ll see what Saturday brings
    Besides soccer and the very very odd occasion I use DSLR - they never see use.
    So I figured I have maybe 4-6yrs left before my son takes interest in other things (girls, beer etc etc) after which I honestly do not see a future with photography, by the time that’s come around phones will be just too good to ignore - so this is really the last bastion for me.
    I’m hell bent on capturing the moments as they present themselves - hence wanting better, cleaner images without the faff of shooting RAW.

if the 70d doesn’t give it, what’s the alternative??

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The 7D has a reputation for noise and iso 6400 is pushing it. I wouldn’t go above 1600. The 7D ii is better for noise control but I try to keep to a max of 3200. The AF system is also better. I have not tried the 70D, although some people prefer it to the 7Dii. I prefer the results from the 5Diii compared with the 7Dii, but if you need the crop factor, it is not an option.

I’m not sure what you have against RAW. If you keep to minor adjustments the processing time is minimal and noise reduction is better.

What do you use for taking non-football photos?

11. pixelpuffin

Whatdo you use for taking non-football photos?

iphone, lumix TZ70 and the Canon G16

Those 3 cover all eventualities, hoping to explore the G16 with multiple external flash (I have quite a few 270exii)

in past times my DSLR saw use with my sons other interests, swimming, karate and boxing. But now it’s just football.

Besides the DSLR nothing would give me the AF speed - not without switching entire systems.

it’s too late on the day for that.

the next stage for me will be the phone cameras - they will be incredible soon.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Like PP I don't normally shoot RAW when doing sports... For me storage space, buffer capacity and shooting speed are the main reasons - raw files are much bigger, occupy more card space and, fill up the buffer too quickly affecting drive speed. If I use DPP to process then converting raw to JPEG isn't a huge task but for a large volume output I'd rather use JPEG where possible.

13. Bazarchie

i understand. I don’t shoot much sports but BIF is similar and I still use RAW.

14. PeteRob

So do I but 90 mins of football is here generating about half the number of shots I take in a year !

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I quickly got fed up with my 7D - the 7D II is very much better.

For something less expensive, I'd recommend a 1D MK IV - there's several offered by one of the well known used outlets, and just make sure you get a Canon battery and Canon charger. The buffer is huge... and they're tough.
    (The 1DX is much more expensive.)

16. Bazarchie

Most reviews disagree with you. I have not used the ID mk IV so I cannot comment from experience.

17. PeteRob

Really? The 7Dii is generally viewed as significantly better than the 7D. The 7Dii and the 1Div are more closely matched. New for new the 1Div was twice the price of the 7Dii so the 7Dii was undoubtedly better value. I'd agree with Malcolm that a good used 1Div at the right price is a consideration if updating a 7D although note that it only takes EF lenses. The most obvious choice is the 7Dii though it is possible that newer higher end APS-C bodies now have comparable AF performance.

18. Bazarchie

Just to be clear I did mean the 7Dii. I have looked on more than one occasion at buying a 1D iv but the comparisons I read put the 7 D ii marginally ahead.

19. PeteRob

Yes, that was a period of rapid development. I'm not sorry that I bought one (a 1Div), it was the best at the time and is a delight to use.

20. Bazarchie

Like most technology, whenever you buy it becomes outdated. The only time I have used a 1D is the 1Diin, which is very old, but the autofocus system works and works very well. I am not convinced the 7Dii is better than the 1Div. The 90D is probably better than the 7Dii in some respects and the 1DX mark ii is better than everything, but how much better. Would they improve my photos, probably not as I am not good enough. If I get the occasional good photo, then I am a happy bunny.

Back to the OP, get a 7Dii.