1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 Artisans Lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by William Parker, Mar 13, 2018.

1. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

Has anyone got or used one of these Chinese lenses?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any serious reviews (but I didn't look very hard). I think I read a comment last year somewhere that the outsourcing to China for optics had led to a production capacity for reasonable quality glass at lowish prices and this was opening opportunities. I forget the name but there is one maker of lenses that has had quite good reviews and they are sold globally under a hat full of different names.

William Parker likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Laowa?

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I had to look at the AP review category to recall - Samyang it was that I was thinking about. They also trade as Rokinon

William Parker likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Samyang lenses are actually Korean (South!). They actually make some rather good lenses.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Indeed they do. I have the 14mm rectilinear for full frame and the 7.5mm curvy for M43. I'm well pleased with them though they're lenses for which I seldom find the right subjects. Still here's a 14mm shot of a small town centre in the Alps...

Canon Eos 5D 5596.JPG

7. William Parker

There are a few reviews on YouTube the general opinion being they perform well once stopped down slightly , that's referring to the 50mm F 1.1 and there is barrel distortion when fully open to but I got the impression considering the price they were not bad at all. As far as I am aware the reviews were not by professional optical experts but never the less quite well done.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The problem with experts is that they are usually testing in a lab, not real world conditions. What ultimately actually matters is how satisfied the user of an item is.

9. William Parker

I quite agree, I only made that comment just to sort of balance things out a bit and didn't want to give the wrong impression. The reviewers seemed to know what they were talking about and interestingly the two reviews I watched came to similar conclusions. Added to that they uploaded examples of the images taken. Once stopped down a tad they performed well and gave an unusual Bokeh. I quite fancy one for my M3 .

Best Wishes.