1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

600mm f5.6 and Teleconverters

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by cliveva, Mar 6, 2019.

1. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi all
    Just bought said, but my TC 20 doesn’t fit, And I cannot find a compatibility list for Teleconverters that do, any help is most welcome.
    Clive

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it physically doesn't connect then this will be deliberate. Canon TC's are like that.

Generally spoken F8 is the normal limit for AF to work, so a F1.4 converter would be the usual limit.

The mirrorless cameras may allow AF at max apertures smaller than F8, I haven't seen anyone translate the EV AF specification into practical terms.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really expect that using a 2X converter would be greatly satisfactory, the finder image alone will be rather dim. If you are using a FX camera body it might be worth considering buying a DX body, that will instantly give you a 1.5X increase, at the expense of slightly greater pixel density (if in practical terms it matters), also using the sharper centre area of the field. Then adding a 1.4X converter would bring you to much the same territory.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nikon converters are rather different, and compatibility is, shall we say, a mite confusing... it's not as simple as "if it fits, it works", due to the complexities of electrical and mechanical contact changes (including AF drive) over time with the F mount, on top of AF issues due to effective maximum apertures.

There are several charts:

https://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/...eleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

is an official Nikon one for AF-S versions of the converters; it points out the cameras that can use AF at f8, and also mentions that the Zs can AF at f8 or even f11 with every focus point, albeit sometimes not totally reliably.

https://www.nikonians.org/website/var/assets/files/nikonians-teleconverter-compatibility-chart.pdf doesn't list lenses, but lens types that work with each converter.

Not sure if there is a proper compatibility chart for all lenses and all converters; it would be enormous, though.

cliveva likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The obvious question is, which TC20 do you have? I believe the current one is the TC20E111. You have also neglected to say which 600 f5.6 you have. Sufficient to say that Nikon teleconverters are generally compatible only with lenses where AF capability will be maintained so the current TC 20 is compatible with the 600 f4. As Nick says a full chart would be enormous. You might start with the instruction leaflet that came with your TC20 as it lists compatible lenses.

6. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi all
    It is manual focus and the converter is the TC 20E ll.
    I notice on the lens there is lug, not present on my other lens.
    I realise it would be a challenge to use, but thought I would give it a go.
    I was wondering if earlier models of the converter could be used, as they are not so expensive 2nd hand, just not as good optically. Looks like I would need the TC 200/201 from the chart.
    Thanks for the reply’s so far.
    Clive

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The lug is a meter coupling prong for the older film cameras. My thoughts would be that challenge is an understatement! I think you would need an earlier, or third-party converter, in imho you are going to be viewing at effectively f11 with such a combination, the finder image will be dark and the camera focusing aids will not be operative.