1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5d MK II changing ISO all by itself?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by cerebros, May 31, 2017.

1. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Hi everyone,

I assume I'm doing something wrong here but I can't figure out what

Just been out tonight taking some photos of Criccieth Castle (may not have spelt it right but I can't pronounce it correctly either) with my 5D Mk II

Photos aren't going to be any great shakes by the preliminary look I've had but I'm more concerned about something that seems to be going on with my exposure settings.

I was shooting (at least I thought I was) in Aperture priority at f11 with a base ISO of 100, with 2 stop bracketed exposures to dabble with later. However, midway through shooting the ISO reported in the files I'm looking at in Lightroom jumps to 6400 and that would appear to be borne out by the noise I'm seeing in the shots. Composing was being done in Live View.

I've just gone back through each mode setting on my camera (from Bulb round to Shutter Priority) and they're all set at ISO 100, and I'm 110% certain the only thing I changed on my camera before packing up for the night is turning bracketing back off.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? Have I possibly adjusted something in the custom settings that could cause this? I'm pretty sure I'd remember cranking the ISO all the way up and I find it odd that after the initial set of photos I shot when I started the next batch a couple of minutes later after walking down the beach a bit the first three I took were all ISO 100 but from then on (at the point where I realised I'd forgotten to engage bracketing and had turned it on)

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Have you turned on Auto ISO by mistake in the menu?

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Are you absolutely sure that you didn't somehow turn on Auto ISO as that would seem to be an obvious culprit.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Look in the settings for "safety shift" or something like that. I've got a feeling there is an option for the camera to overide any of the automode (except full auto where it decides anyway) settings if it hits a limit like full aperture in Tv mode. In full auto it will change ISO. I spent ages pulling my hair out once with my 5 D because the ISO setting vanished - I had knocked the camera onto auto taking it from the bag and not noticed.

5. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Hi guys

Sorry for delay in replying, been out at the beach all day (it is supposed to be a family holiday after all).

Craig20264 and Geren, I'm 1000% certain I'm not on auto-ISO and wasn't using it at the time

PeterRob, I've checked and Safety Shift is disabled.

Taking a quick look through my custom function settings at the moment that look like they could possibly have any effect I have:

C Fn I:
    3. ISO Expansion: 1: On (although as I understand it this is just so you can use ISO 50, 12800 and 25600 and shouldn't affect anything else)
    6: Safety Shift: 0: Disable

C Fn II:
    1. Long exposure noise reduction: 0: Off
    2. High ISO speed noise reduction: 0: Standard
    3. Highlight tone priority: 0: Disable
    4. Auto lighting optimiser: 0: Standard

General settings:
    Under the 2nd Spanner menu:
    Live view function settings:
    a) Stills & movie: Stills + Movie
    b) Exposure simulation: Is now Exposure simulation as I changed it last night to try and test briefly (but was too tired to actually do proper test), not sure what it was on before, suspect whatever the default option was when the camera shipped

I'm on firmware 2.1.2 if that matters at all.

regards

6. PeteRob

check auto iso speed. My 5D has a setting where it only operates if exposure time is greater than a preset threshold

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Try a reset to default settings.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am not a Canon user but support Pete Rob's suggestion. Perhaps you have set the camera to a mode where it is meant to sellect its own iso speed. All decent cameras have such a facility and generally their algorithm embedded in their firmware is often better than that in our own brain. I deliberately use auto iso although it is somewhat demeaning that a lump of technology is more likely to make a better setting than myself.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi ya CB, …. go the ISO button, press it and see what pops up …. if it's ISO A …. it's on Auto ISO, if it pops up as a number -- say 200 -- it's not on Auto ISO :) cheers, Jack

[​IMG]

10. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Do you know what menu option that's under? I've taken a quick look through my Mk II's settings and can't seem to find anything obvious that would seem to do that (but then there's a few options I see in the Custom Functions whose purpose I can't immediately determine from the name of the function.

Hi Jack, and everyone else suggesting I check I'm not in auto-ISO, I wasn't kidding when I said in my first post:

While I'll freely admit that I don't know what every single option on my Mk II does (see my above answer to PeteRob), the one thing I do know how to do is check and change my ISO setting (and I doubt it's ever been set to auto ISO in all the years I've been using it). And the reason I'm confident I didn't change either into Auto ISO or 6400 by accident is that the only exposure settings I was changing on the camera at the time were aperture, shutter and mode, none of which require me to press any of the buttons on the top plate of the camera. (I didn't even use the LCD display illumination button as far as I can recall as I was using my head torch when adjusting settings)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  11. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

I might have to over the weekend when I can find a few minutes of quiet to note down my current settings so I can go back and selectively reapply

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I hope it works for you and is not a fault. My 5D is the only FF camera I have, regularly tempted to get a 5D ii or 6D.

13. Done_rundleCams

A very wise move, C_B, and the main reason I only choose two CF on my Pentax -- use Aperture lenses and turn off the AF assist light -- :)

Cheers and fingers crossed :)

Jack

14. PeteRob

Well it looks like a mystery. On the basis that I've done it on an original 5D, which I think the mkii is very alike, knocking the mode dial to auto still seems the most likely as it doesn't have a lock. The auto ISO option I mentioned above is on my 5Ds which is the manual I have on my ipad, so might not apply but it is always worth reading the manual - with the pdf versions and full reader search option it is trivial to look things up.

15. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

I'm not a Canon user and am unfamiliar with the camera settings, but could this be caused by the camera adopting "movie" settings when used in live view mode?
    This would explain why it is increasing the ISO as when shooting a movie in aperture priority the camera's main aim would be to keep the shutter speed high enough to get a watchable movie.
    Changing the stills & movie setting to stills only may be a solution.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Simple answer to that one - no.

Either the camera is faulty, or far more likely the mode dial has moved to the green box mode. I've had that problem before.

17. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Well looks like it was something to do with shooting in Live View after all.

Just had a thought and opened up Digital Photo Professional (must admit I'd forgotten that I'd even got it installed) and looked at the picture info for . The shots I took that were at ISO 100 were shot outside of Live View (must admit I thought I'd used Live View for composing all the shots) and DPP reports Auto ISO as off. The shots I took that have ended up at ISO 6400 appear to all have been taken in Live View and Auto ISO is reported as On by DPP.

18. Done_rundleCams

Glad you got it solved :) …. one down … plenty more stuff to follow :eek:;)

jack

19. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

same here

I certainly hope not

20. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If memory serves there was (about four years ago) chatter on the net as to how easy it was to knock that mode dial when handling that camera. Certainly when its little brother (the 6D) came out there was a lock on the mode dial to make accidents much less likely - I took that as an acknowledgement of a minor weakness