1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

52% of Brits will be pleased (YouTube)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daft_biker, Mar 13, 2018.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think the number you were looking for is 37.4%. :confused:

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

But how many Brexiters can count? Among those that can, not all will be capable of understanding percentages and decimal points.

I like the ending: "God Save the Queen! And God help us all!"

Cheers,

R.

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I suppose people in Europe will just have to Grid their loins until this is sorted out?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. Jeff Preston

Jeff Preston Well-Known Member

A post that is not worthy of anyone with pretentions of normal intelligence never mind elevated intelligence and education.
    Surely your sneering should be directed to those of us who were not persuaded by the propaganda of Govt. and our betters to continue the status quo and accordingly could not be bothered to vote.
    Time to apply for French citizenship ?

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

A post that is not worthy of anyone with pretensions to a sense of humour.

Cheers,

R.

7. Roger Hicks

A further thought for Jeff:

If you feel the need to treat some home truths as sneering, instead of taking a joke as a sneer, consider the following.

A frightening number of Brexiters are too dim to appreciate one or more of the following:

1 Most of Britain's problems are the result of British failings, political and managerial, rather than of the Wicked EU

2 There is a left wing case to be made for Brexit, but as the case is being made almost exclusively by the right, the wish-list of the latter is a likelier outcome

3 Britain no longer has an Empire

4 We are no longer living in the 1950s

5 The only people who might even conceivably be better off after Brexit are those who can profit from "shorting" British business or reducing employees' rights/wages

6 Democracy did not stop on the day of the referendum

7 Parliament and the government of the day are intellectually and constitutionally different

8 If Parliament is to be sovereign, it has to vote on whether or not to accept any Brexit deal

Cheers,

R.

Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Umm.....that is voting.It is a vote in support of the majority view.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Really? Would you care to attempt to mount the slightest intellectual defence of that?

I mean, I haven't yet got around to signing a petition demanding that Aung San Suu Kyi be held responsible for ethnic cleansing in Burma. That doesn't mean that she isn't, or that most people think she isn't. It does however mean that not enough people have asked for her to be held to account, presumably because it doesn't affect them very directly; or, more brutally, because they can't be arsed; or perhaps because they genuinely don't have an opinion, perhaps because of a deficit of information.

It is significantly more defensible to say that a failure to vote is a vote for the status quo (i.e., in the referendum, voting to stay in the EU) but either stance is unlikely to appeal to many.

Cheers,

R.

10. RovingMike

Also indefensible depending how you look at it. Abstaining merely removes on opposing vote from whichever way the majority chooses to go. It is tacit support for the majority. Ask yourself a simple question: If you are in the majority and believe you have all the marginal votes you can get and cannot realistically sway others, would you want them neutralised and non-voting, or voting?
    If you want them to not vote, you accept they are tacitly allowing you to win.

11. RovingMike

But it wasn't was it? We know a majority of non-voters supported the status quo. Therefore they tacitly allowed the status quo to be changed.

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Possibly...it was just a line from the video.

I'd hope at least 52 % of us appreciate British plugs are better than foreign ones though. ;)

13. Jeff Preston

14. Roger Hicks

I used to believe that, but I am no longer convinced that the advantages of the big, complex British plug sufficiently outweigh the advantages of the smaller, simpler non-fused continental plug. I do like switched sockets, though.

Cheers,

R.

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Stop and think:

Post 8, "Umm.....that is voting.It is a vote in support of the majority view."

Post 11, "We know a majority of non-voters supported the status quo."

Which do you believe?

Cheers,

R.

16. Jeff Preston

A frightening number of remoaners are too dim to understand that in global terms the protectionist EU will decline in economic importance as the energetic and entrepreneurial people of Adrica, South America and Asia rise.

Britain has been in relative decline for well over one hundred years. That obviously has nothing to do with the EU. Poor leadership and management at all levels has accelerated that decline along with anti trade and business snobbery of our ruling class.

The left wing position now as I see it is to stay in a or the customs union thus keeping in the cosy club to carry on as before. Hardly a position Mr C would find comfortable given his voting record on EU matters and being a man of consistent principle.

Britain no longer has an empire. Yes I had noticed as has everyone else.

I know what year it is now. Most people who were adults in the middle of the last century are now dead but yes, some of the attitudes held then were absorbed by my generation. Some were awful and some were good.

Do you really still trust the important remainer people who forecast all sorts of horrible consequences from the day a vote to leave was declared ? There is no point in reciting the stupid forecasts again.
    I am sure there will be a price to pay but the calc ulation seems to have been that it is a price worth paying for non economic reasons.

Overturning the leave vote would be undemocratic in popular terms. I believe in representational democracy and that there should not have been a referendum on the matter but the deed has been done.

Even I understand that Parliament and Government are different.

Parliament delegated its powers to the people by holding a referendum. The Parliamentary vote will be on the terms of the leaving deal so the deal will be accepted or we will leave without a deal.

I voted remain despite misgivings but accept the result.

17. Jeff Preston

I understand the point being made but if the status quo people had actually voted...... well

18. Jeff Preston

Of course not.

19. Jeff Preston

Ah ha. Your wonderful English sense of humour

20. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

In reverse order:

You voted Remain but call Remainers "Remoaners". Hmmm...

No, Parliament did not delegate its powers to the people. Cameron's government called an ADVISORY referendum in a futile attempt to placate the Tory loonies.

If you can't overturn one "democratic vote" with another one, then why doesn't the 1975 referendum still stand?

"I am sure there will be a price to pay but the calc ulation seems to have been that it is a price worth paying for non economic reasons." Presumably you were taught at school to avoid the passive voice whenever possible, and came to the conclusion that this time it wasn't possible. "Seem to have been made" by whom?

First sentence: oh, boy. Now, think hard. Where is the UK nearest to; with whom does it trade most; from where does it import its food; with whom is is easiest to trade? Clue: not "Adrica, South America and Asia".

Cheers,

R.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.