1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500mm Fresnel on the way

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jun 14, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Where Canon lead, Nikon follow 20 years later... ;)

4. Learning

Like when Canon was first to a add video function to a DSLR, The D90? Both have lead and both have followed. Presently they are both following Sony as far as the future photographic market is concerned.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 5D II was in development at the same time and was released a few weeks later - but with HD video.
    But no, diffractive optics in this case, which Canon brought out in 2000, but also ultrasonic in-lens motors, which Canon brought out about 20 years before Nikon as well, in-lens image stabilisers, CMOS sensors...

As for Sony, pah. Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sony's big problem is that once they've done something new like the U20 or the R1 they seem to get bored and go off at a new tangent. The result is you look at their ground breaking models and ask yourself "so where's the MK II that fixed the rough edges?" They are getting better though. The Alpha series has shown constant improvement and a level of commitment.

Benchista likes this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree with that, they produced some really good radio mics but, although they are still making them they aren't exactly pushing them. They seem to have completely dropped their Hi-Fi components, they don't inspire me with their commitment to product lines but then I have never really followed what they do.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not according to their web-site.

Mind, the only Sony stuff I have is a Bravia TV that must be nearly 20 years old and still going strong (though I've lost count of the number of remotes I've had to buy), a DVD player that is nearly as old but is getting a bit flaky and a recently purchased (for my 10MP camera collection) Alpha A200. :cool:

9. Learning

Well the Nikon room seems to be more lively than the Sony room that is still wollowing in the 'moreibund thread' that I started some time ago.
    We agree on something. Sony do something, Customers buy. Sony moves on and customers are left high and dry

However that doesn't change the fact that I take more snaps with my Sony M100m3 than a brace of Nikon D500 and a D800.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's the thing isn't it? My current pocket camera is a HX90 and my default is an A65 fitted to a Tamron 16-300. I could manage most of what I want to do with those 2 alone. In a pinch I could lose the HX90.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
    I have had some very good bits of Sony kit over the years, but every single one has had some silly design flaw - for instance my Blu-Ray player, which gives a great picture even when upscaling DVDs - has a remote control without an eject button. Not the end of the world, but annoying.
    And don't get me started about compatibility. ;)

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Sony are not alone in not having an eject button on the handset. I can’t see that's a problem as you'll to have to get up to remove/change the disc, unless you have some cunning plan to do that remotely. ;)

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK, I missed that but then I noticed that most of it is digital audio, none of the items on that page is traditional Hi-Fi. I appear to be well out of date on the way Hi-Fi is going it seems there are many manufactures supporting DSD.

The Sony kit I use is good but even the simplest things, monitor speakers, have their niggles. Spring terminals for bare wire where I would expect Speakons and these are supposedly "professional" products. If their cameras are the same they will be very good but defined more by their niggles than by their performance.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 7:24 AM
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My Quad CD player needs the eject button on the remote, I couldn't tell you which of the four buttons on the player is the eject. The system is designed to be operated from the remote rather than the front panel.

15. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I have an elderly Sony dvd player which will not play NTSC disks(I have a lot of them) and is one of a small number of players that cannot be hacked to
    fulfil that function.Believe me I`ve tried.
    I now use a Samsung player for the most part which was passed to me by my son.

EDIT.sorry for drifting off topic.I forgot this is the Nikon room.Mods please remove as tou see fit.