1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

400mm ?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Bill Stewardson, Feb 11, 2018.

1. hello to all.

Now then, I’m using a D3400 and I’m quite happy with it. Usually has the Tamron 300mm stuck on it, however, I’m wanting to go up to 400mm via the 2nd hand route. Most of the lenses I’ve looked at won’t AF, which lenses would please ?

Thanks

Bill.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

For Nikon (unless you want a 400 F2.8) I think you are looking at their own 8-400 zoom or their 200-500 zoom (although it isn't on this list that I can see http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/list.htm ). Otherwise it is the Tamron or Sigma super zooms. There are now a few versions of these so some care is needed. If your lens is a 300 F4 prime you could put a converter on it. That is what I first did (with Canon).

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There is a Sigma 100-400 which costs around £600 used and is said to be a good performer. There is little in a low cost route that allows autofocus on your camera.

4. Many thanks.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

With the D3400 you need a lens with an in-built motor. Look for these designations in the lens name:

Nikon: AF-S or AFS. AF-P (or AFP)
    Sigma: HSM
    Tamron: USD or PZD

As far as I am aware Tokina lenses in Nikon mount do not have a built in motor so would be manual focus only.

6. Many thanks.

I’m learning about how damn costly this stuff is.

Thanks again.

7. Cheers for that.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you decide to try a converter may I recommend:
    Do NOT get a Nikon converter, they are matched to Nikon's lenses for which they are suitable and may either not fit or foul on a Tamron lens
    Do try a Tamron converter, preferably matched for the 300 lens
    Bear in mind that Nikon cameras, unless stated otherwise in the documentation, need an effective aperture of f5.6 for accurate autofocus. That restricts you to a 1.4x or 1.7x converter giving focal lengths of 420 and 510 respectively with a 300. (I am assuming your 300 is f4)

9. Hello and thanks Geoff.

Just to clarify, if I’m using an aperture of less than 5.6 I won’t get AF ?

I’m using a brand new D3400 and the Tamron f4-5.6 300mm that came with it.
    Intention being to go for birds along the local River Rother.

Many thanks.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Scratch the converter to use with a zoom. I assumed you had a 300 F4 as you said you had a 300 on it. If you want to photograph wild birds then better look at the super-zooms. You can never have a long enough lens.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No Bill, sorry to confuse you. Most modern cameras only stop down to the selected aperture when you press the shutter release so it is the Maximum Aperture that matters for Autofocus. Thus, if your lens were a 300 f4 the maximum aperture is f4. If you shoot at f8 it will close the diaphragm down to f8 as the shutter opens and then go back to f4 when it closes. If you fit a 1.4x converter you get a 420 f5.6 lens which is OK for AF, if you fit a 2x converter you get a 600 f8 which will be too slow (dark) for accurate AF.

However, as you have a lens with a maximum aperture of f5.6 at 300mm any converter will result in insufficient light transmission for accurate AF, even a 1.4x converter will give f8. If you want a longer lens you will, unfortunately, have to either buy a suitable prime lens or a faster (bigger aperture) zoom that can be used with a converter. As an example, sit down before reading, a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 will set you back around £1,200 to £1,500 (used) and a 1.7x converter another £300 or so. It weighs in at 1.87Kg, lens and converter. I am sure Tamron produce something similar but it won't be significantly lighter even if it is cheaper to buy.

12. Whew,, many thanks.

That’s the end if that then !