1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd Party flash - anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Scphoto, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

There's a few brands out there, such as Godox, Yongnuo, nissin and Sunpack - the latter are what Fuji use and are just rebranded for some of their units.

Of all the flashes the Yongnuo are cheapest, but manual - that isn't really an issue though as I prefer manual control. Just wanting to find out what folks are using out there!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

MPP with bulbs. (still in production by Meggaflash)

Cheers,

R.

Scphoto likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It’s been about 20 years since I used an external flash. Studio flash? Yes. Continuous lighting? Indeed. Otherwise the built in flash or available light for me.

Scphoto likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

What built in flash? Can't find one on my Leicas, Nikon DF, Alpa, Gandolfis...

Cheers,

R.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you use real cameras instead of the plastic phantasic rubbish I have, you’ve probably got a Metz 502 or one of those grey handled Brauns already.

6. Scphoto

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

I used to have a Metz 45 but 20 or 30 years ago ago I gave it to a young friend who was just starting out as a wedding photographer. I've never missed it. I've lost track of her but I know she was doing OK at one point: the most expensive wedding she ever shot (with pre- and post-wedding pics as well) was over £10,000. I was astonished that anyone had that kind of money to spend.

Cheers,

R.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I looked at what was available before opting for the Fuji gun, on the basis that although it was a Sunpak product it was at least made for and marketed by the camera manufacturer. I was fairly lucky to find a new UK item at what I considered a reasonable figure.

My opinion fwiw is that these cameras are not ideal for shooting at a party. I tried using my X-E1 a couple of years ago, for this, I had also taken my Nikon D610, after a couple of shots with the Fuji, I switched to the Nikon and stayed with it, except for a few outdoor shots with the Fuji.

Scphoto likes this.
  9. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

I use Godox with my Fuji X-T1. I have a TT350F and a TT685F plus both versions of wireless transmitter. I've found them to be really good, especially for the price. The TT350F is small enough to sit in the bottom of my bag all of the time, I only take out the TT685F when I know I will need either multiple flashes, or more flash output than the smaller unit offers. Both flashguns are pretty well built in my opinion and easy to use.

I find it really useful that I can control both flashes directly from the camera as either manual or TTL. I previously used Yongnuo (and Yongnuo manual triggers) but the Godox system is far superior - and not much more expensive.

You need to make sure you are on very late firmware, as it was only late in late 2016/early 2017 that the Fuji flash system was brought up to spec (with the release of the Fuji XF-X500 flash).

Scphoto and Roger Hicks like this.
  10. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

The Fuji flash system was always seen as the weak point of the Fuji X-Series. I think that they created a basic system to tick a box but were concentrating all of their efforts on lens design and AF speed. I think that the Fuji XF-X500 was the result of them looping back and fixing this problem (in the software industry we'd describe this as paying off technical debt). The Godox flashes didn't come out until after Fuji had made these improvements.

I have one of the rebranded Sunpak units as well (mine is the small EF-20) but I was never impressed with it and didn't rate it at all. I think that your opinion of flash with Fuji might be improved if you use the later versions of cameras and flashguns. My first Fuji was an X-E1, and there is a big improvement between it and the X-E2/X-T1 (which is what I use nowadays).

Scphoto likes this.
  11. Scphoto

Thanks for the info, I should be fine as the X Pro 2 is up to date. The TT685F should be with me by Tuesday so I've got a while to mess around with it. I noticed that B&Hphoto (USA) are listing a Canon compatible extension battery pack with it, would you know it it has the port for one?

12. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I use Nissin guns (Di622 mk II). Exelent quality, good features at half the price of the same spec Canon.
    Would recomend them.

Scphoto likes this.
  13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Scphoto likes this.
  14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Stephen,

A friend of mine picked up one of the Nissin flashes -- we had to go across the border to Seattle to purchase it :eek: -- and he
    really likes it with his only concern being that the flash didn't have a AF assist lamp :eek: which, if important to you, I believe the
    EF -42 (Fuji) flash does have and, possibly, some of the other brands you mention above, may have :)

Cheers,

Jack

15. Scphoto

Thanks Jack - I've had the Godox flash delivered - it seems to do the job so hopefully it'll be o.k. :)

Done_rundleCams and Snorri like this.
  16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Good stuff, Stephen :). One of our fellows sold our GoDox flash concoction to one of our GFS customers and, sadly, I didn't even
    get to take a peek at it :eek:

Hope yours does the trick :)

Cheers,

Jack