1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360° Panoramic Photography

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Pete_Loud, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Pete_Loud

Pete_Loud Member

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I built mine out of Meccano, you can also use shelf brackets (available from most DIY stores) :)

One slight problem with your examples though... in that you are rotating on the wrong point! You need to rotate around the focal point and not the front element of the lens.

3. Pete_Loud

Pete_Loud Member

I am fully aware of the need for rotating about the point of no-parallax. I did plenty of tests to find that position. The camera is positioned correctly. I hope the quality of my panos show that.

Meccano, it must wobble like a drunken sailor.

4. andrebogaert

andrebogaert Well-Known Member

Now Now Girls lets not get tetchy.....
    Maybe if we looked at this in the round...Oh... That's back to wobbly things again...
    Happy Holidays..

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Keep the hair upon your head! :)

Nope, its more rigid than a rigid thing. The rotating head is made out of Meccano, not the tripod. It works really well and can be locked in different positions for different cameras.

6. Pete_Loud

Pete_Loud Member

Then include a photograph of it, and let's see some of your panos.

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

No. It's hissing down with rain and I'm not going out to my office/studio to get it and then photograph it.

*sigh*

Have we seen any of yours here?

And can we not have a 'who can piss higher up the wall' contest! But if you really want to view a few of my panoramic photographs...

Go here --->
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...-Photographs-(9-photos)&p=1223600#post1223600

8. danam1

danam1 Well-Known Member

I, as of yet, know nothing about photography.
    are these images put together on some sort of stacking programme or are they captured in a sweeping movement? :eek:

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Hi danam1,

The panoramics I posted were created from several photographs and 'stitched' together in Photoshop.

They range in number of individual photographs used from 9 to 23.

If you want to have a try with panoramics there is a brilliant bit of software called 'MS ICE'. It is free as well :)

Here is a link:
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/

10. danam1

danam1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Fen.
    so it is similar to how extreme macro is stacked but this is "stitched" side by side and I assume it is more labour intense?

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they were the same, but then I've only ever produced one stacked image and that didn't work out that well :eek:

As for labour intensive... I wouldn't go that far... it is quite easy nowadays once you have the photographs to do the stitching together with software. It was a lot more time consuming a few years ago to do the stitching by hand. This was before it became possible for software to produce a decent end result!

I remember spending hours if not days working out the joins, merges, edits on a series of photographs to get a finished image.

Software now allows you to select the images you want stitched together and leave it to get on with it. It even works with RAW files.

12. danam1

danam1 Well-Known Member

Thanks again, sounds interesting.
    Thats amazing that it works with RAW files!
    whats a RAW file?

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

14. danam1

danam1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Fen, I had a look at that earlier, it's as clear as mud now!
    Is that to say when we take a photo they are not normally ready to use and they always need working on?

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Pretty much. A common way of describing a raw file is to think of a film negative where the raw file is the digital equivalent.

16. danam1

danam1 Well-Known Member

Wow, really?
    I know I must be sounding thick but I see photos in their "RAW" state and can't see anything wrong with them!
    Are some people just not able to see things (like tone deaf people with music) or is it something you can be taught?

17. patrington1a

patrington1a Well-Known Member

Why not try the 360 app on your andriod phones,,, good fun...