1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35mm compact film camera for a beginner

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by joejoe, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Do these have HD video?

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

1. Don't recognise the seller names - appear to be private so caveat emptor
    2. Postage on the first is excessive in my view.
    3. Have to confess that I do not know much about the non-rangefinder Leica cameras. But this dealer, well-known to AP readers, has a selection: http://www.ffordes.com/category/Film_Cameras/Compacts/Leica

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I agree, the postage is excessive on the Contax, but then so is the price. It is being sold with a 28mm, not the excellent 45mm. The 45mm is hard to find as a separate item now. If buying one of these cameras you really need it to come with the 45mm lens. If buying a G1 you should look for the later version with the green label in the film chamber, this is compatible with all the G series lenses. The earlier type with silver label is not.

I don't personally worry overmuch over private sellers on ebay, I can't say that I have had any real problems, the thought of negative feedback keeps most sellers eyes on the ball

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. joejoe

joejoe Member

Thanks for all of your help...I was amazed with the amount of good advice on offer.

I went for a Leica CM in the end. I nearly opted for a Pentax MX, but the point and shoot simplicity of the Leica won through.

Thanks again,

Joe

6. FV1974

FV1974 Member

I would recommend a Contax Aria + Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.7 lens
    Great handling, great lens and easy to find on the second market within your budget.
    Later on, she could expand her set with some other great CZ lenses such as the 28mm f2.8, and the 90mm f2.8