1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35mm compact film camera for a beginner

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by joejoe, Feb 19, 2012.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I bid a Minox 35ML AND an Olympus XA! ;):)

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's what I was saying about the Minilux, and as an owner, I think the chance is too high and not worth the risk.

The Rollei 35S undoubtedly is capable of great quality as well, but the main issue with it is that there's no focusing assistance, i.e. a rangfinder. The B version has a much inferior lens. The Minoxs also have the same issue as the Rolleis - no rangefinder.

Someone mentioned the Ricohs - they work well and have decent lenses, but feel much cheaper than similar cameras.

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

After thinking and checking I would like to throw in the The original Konica Hexar Sometimes callaed The Konica Hexar AF. It is a great peace of kit and I have seen few for about £200 It has a fixed 35mm lens but it is great to use.
    The newer The Konica Hexar RF is another one but it is much more expensive, but then agein you get Leica L mount.

Thanks Benchista for refreshing my memory.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not tried one myself but I have heard good things about the Contax T2.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Me too!

6. 0lybacker

And what about the G2 Contax? I seem to recall it suffered reputation-wise from the shortcomings of its predecessor, despite being a markedly improved beastie (on a par with a Leica, some said) and was on sale at one point in kits of body, 3 lenses and flash for not much more than £1000.

Unfortunately, the two on Ffordes' site are outside the OP's budget at £550 and £600 (with 45mm f2 lens :p:)) but would have the benefit of a guarantee.

7. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

An Olympus 35-RD for me. I had one to replace an original Minox 35 which suffered from variable exposure and it was a joy to own. Quality was excellent more than a match in most caese for my Canon SLR's and unlike them it happily fitted in motorcycle panniers when touring Europe. It was replace by an Olympus XA which was never quite as good. An alternative would be a mju which my wife had and was a cracking little camera much better than the 140 zoom version I bought.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The Contax G2 is not all that compact, or light, I know, I still own one, along with a G1 which is more compact, in truth I actually prefer the G1. The 45mm f2 lens is terrific, but these cameras are rather quirky things. They are as you say outside the budget by quite a margin, I would not really regard them as a beginners camera, they take a bit of getting used to before you can exploit their quality.

9. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Yeah, they sold over 10 million of them so there are loads on the market :)

Best thing about the Trip, no batteries required.

10. veato

veato Well-Known Member

How about a Fujifilm Klasse W Black?

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nice, but I have never seen one in the UK. Also as it was Japan-only on release (I believe) the instructions are likely to only be in Japanese - not necessarily ideal for a beginner.

12. veato

veato Well-Known Member

13. 0lybacker

Cheaper than a M6 body. ;)

Smaller, if I recall correctly, than a M6 plus a 50mm. :)

Generous hubby might save up a bit more? :confused::D

[Could buy a Trip 35 as a short term measure while waiting ... :)]

I favour the Pentax MX solution (or ME Super) paired with the pancake lens. This is actually a pocketable combination! Be patient while hunting and get lucky and you might get this combo for the same as a nice Olympus 35RC or 35RD which would be my other instant first choice cameras for the OP.

While I would normally be suggesting an Olympus OM2n as a MX alternative, the Oly pancake lens would - if mintish, s/h - swallow the whole of the OP's budget on its own.

PS. The G1 would be OK if focussed manually - IIRC, it was the erratic A/F that was the biggest problem with the G1. What do s/h ones go for?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There are not all that many G1s about. I think the bodies are around the £200 mark, depending on condition and whether they are siver or green label. I didn't find focusing a problem, you just have to remember that it has a single centre focusing spot and work accordingly. The camera feels better proportioned than the G2, to me anyway, but I still think it is an instrument that a beginner would find difficult to use, but it is certainly a quality made product, with especially the 45mm f2 lens which is superb, I would class it as the best 35mm standard lens I have used.

15. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Well I'd far, far rather have the Zuiko 50/1.8 on the OM2n than the 40mm pancake lens - I don't know what the Pentax version was like but the Olympus version was by far the worst lens they produced on OM fitting in terms of performance, the off axis coma, astigmatism and field flatness was in the "very poor" class. The only possible justification was the compact size.

OTOH the Zuiko 50/1.8 is a real gem optically, and they're cheap as chips.

Bear in mind that a 35RC is a big lump to fit in your pocket - it is far happier in an ERC case hung round your neck - a OMx + 50/1.8 is scarcely any bigger or heavier, and it does give a lot more options.

16. 0lybacker

Me too, really. 50/1.8 + 24 or 28 + 100 makes a great, 'miniature' outfit! ;):)

Just thinking a) of OP's requirements, and b) advantage of pairing M body with 'pancake' lens.

PS. Great opportunity for someone to post comparative pic ..... ooh, luvverly chrome ..... !
    Possible you had a duff 40? Olympus could be patchy in their assembly and checking. I know of 1) a really duff couple of 50/1.8s - a lens that still holds resolution records, and, 2) have myself owned - thanks to a burglary & aftermath - three 28mms of varying quality and two 21/3.5s - ditto! :rolleyes::(

Compared to ... ? An XA? {Great camera - one of the best! :D} Yes. A Trip 35? No. A 35RD? Smaller again, is it not?

PS: Great opportunity for someone to post a comparative pic ... ooh! all that luvverly chrome ... !

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The Pentax 40mm pancake mentioned, which seems to be the cause of adulation for some, was if my memory serves me correctly, an economy option at the time compared with the 50mm. I have used one, it was neither wonderful or horrendous, just run of the mill. Certainly not as good as the Konica Hexanon 40mm.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Agreed; it is nicely compact, but nothing special. A bit like the MFT Oly 17mm pancake.

19. 0lybacker

Both the Zeiss standard for the G1/G2 and the Konica Hexar standard should beat the SLR 'pancake' lenses for all sorts of reasons.

But they are both outside the OP's budget unless some saving is done first. ;):)

20. joejoe

joejoe Member