1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1947 Photo anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I can't compete with any of these at all, but this is the earliest photograph of me that I know of. It was taken in 1968 and shows me with my birth mother, at some point in the six weeks between my birth at the end of June and the day I was adopted.

Adoption-Wrap-5.jpg

It is possible that I have some images of my mum and/or dad taken in the early 40s - will have to look.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

How sad, Geren. So many unanswered questions. Hug from me.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I consider myself very lucky because I got answers to a lot of my questions. I think the internet helped a lot of adopted people in that way actually. A message left on a forum was found by the right person - they were looking for me too - and I was able to correspond with my birth mother, father, brother and sister. The latter two are facebook friends and I've met my mother and sister. If there's any sadness, I reserve it for my birth mother. I cannot imagine the pain of giving up a child, especially in her circumstances as she later went on to marry my birth father and have two more children with him. It must have seemed so unfair and pointless that ridiculous societal pressure meant they had to give me away. Unfortunately she suffered a stroke and developed dementia so I cannot find out any more, but I'm thankful that I met her and was able to reassure her that I'd had a happy childhood.

4. Catriona

That's good Geren. Amazes me to think that was the year I got married. In those days you couldn't go on the pill unless you were about to get married. Horrid high dose things they were then too! Made me feel quite ill. It was a time of double standards. Those that were expected of you and the fact that sexual harrassment was ongoing and hard to counter in the workplace. Thank goodness things are different now.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Here's me.

The rear of the photo is endorsed "July 1947 North Berwick"

[​IMG]

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

How long does it take on a coach from Midwich to North Berwick?

Cheers, Jeff

PS - only joking (I'm not really visualising a brick wall!)

7. Catriona

The urge to find new horizons even then?! Little blondie eh? My blond curls soon darkened.

Like it!

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too...

Mind you, it's slowly going blondish again - ash blond is the same as grey, isn't it? o_O

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Wish mine would! It's weird how my hair seems to stay the same mousy brown.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I wasn't even a twinkle in my dads eye then. he was born in 1938. Here are some of me I put together for one of the monthlies on here. I can't remember the theme. These will have been about from between '64-'69 maybe. I'm going to have to dig out some more, and perhaps make these better and easier to view. The last one was taken the day my dad was returning from working in Nicaragua.

[​IMG]being positive in a negative space by Nigel G, on Flickr

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

Aw! What a posh car you had! Very cute! :)

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah looks great. The sort of thing you wish you still had.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Thease are the two earliest I have of me this one is supposedly prewar me in about late 1935 to early 1936

[​IMG]uncertain_02 by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

Me during the war in Welwyn Garden City paddling pond 1942 I remember this one as a minute or two later I got a rusty nail stuck in my foot.

[​IMG]terry_young by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

EightBitTony, Geren and Catriona like this.
  14. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

1957 or thereabouts

Attached Files:

EightBitTony and Geren like this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Sorry about posting it twice it was bad enough the first time

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Got a bunch of me in Berwick (annual holiday destination) but they're all from the late 70's onwards.

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

My dad (front and centre) in 1958 with him army buddies. He passed away in 1975, when I was 4, and I have very few memories of him. Finding photos of him in my mother's photo collection when she passed away a few years ago was pretty emotional.

image5-004_x800_hq.jpg

Edit: I have no idea who the others are, but am I wrong in thinking that guy on the far left was a trouble maker if ever I saw one!

Catriona likes this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Looks a bit like Bryan Forbes.

"...was an English film director, screenwriter, film producer, actor and novelist..." so, yeah, definitely a trouble-maker! ;)

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

They all look so young!

EightBitTony likes this.
  20. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Me in 1943....the mystery lady is not my mother and I have not a clue who she is, I have been searching for a name for years the picture was found at the back of a framed family picture it was only found when I decided to clean the glass inside and out that the picture was found....pass it around if you wish it was taken at Navana Studios in either London or Birmingham.........we have no family photo's taken in 1947 it was a very bad winter and most of the familys items including the camera were sold for food and to keep the place warm, dad was still on active service abroad he was demobed at the end of 1947.
    Me.jpg Mystery Lady 1930s.jpg

EightBitTony, Geren and Catriona like this.